We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from manila - banaue - sagada

1 post
driving from manila - banaue - sagada

It would be my first time to go here, any tips(road conditions etc..) from you guys would be highly appreciated.

21 replies to this topic
New York
1 post
11. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

Hi. I plan to do the rent a van and drive from 100 islands to Sagada straight through and googlemaps says that it will take 8 hours. 2 questions.

1) Do I need a 4x4 or Toyota Innova is good enough to drive up Sagada?

2) Is it really just 8 hours from Alaminos, Pangasinan?

Thanks for your guidance.

Metro Manila...
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
254 reviews
12. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

Do I need a 4x4 or Toyota Innova is good enough to drive up Sagada?

-Jeepneys are the main mode of transportation in Sagada so a Japanese-engineered Innova would be more than enough.

Is it really just 8 hours from Alaminos, Pangasinan?

-Alaminos is really out of the way and Google Maps is always liberally estimating travel times so it is more than 8 hours.

Edited: May 21, 2016, 12:33 am
Manila
Level Contributor
656 posts
51 reviews
13. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

It's around 11 hours drive... I advice you make it to Sagada before nightfall.

If there's a typhoon... cancel your Sagada trip. Landslide does occur (along Halsema highway) when it rain hard.

Edited: May 22, 2016, 7:24 am
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
14. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

Why do you suggest to get a driver? I am thinking about renting a car and doing a road trip through Northern Luzon.

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
5,447 posts
29 reviews
15. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

I assume yo are used to driving on paved roads where a right indicator flashing means you are turning right not I am turning right or left so pass me on the right or do you like my flashing light where one way streets are signposted as such and not dependent on local knowledge where roads are not used for drying rice and where road markings are made correctly for example near me I m allowed to overtake leading up to a blind bend but on going round the bend with a straight road ahead I am notallowed to overtake but the vehicles heading into the bend are - the workers knew they had to have a continous line plus a broken line but were not sure which side to put it on - and there are more than enough people who would overtake on a blind bend.

One junction on a national highway near me has priority to vehicles on the national highway but most drivers don't follow this rule as 5 years ago the priority was different.

The first set of traffic lights were installed with the red at the top.

I assume unlike many filipinos you started driving when young and were driven around in your safe driving parents car. There are car owners who make their fortune aged 30 and but a powerful big motor then accelerate brake accelerate brake overaccelerate etc. They have never been before the wheel before.

Trikes emerge out of side streets without looking, you are sharing the road with children animals etc.

Many people are not used to seeing or being in vehicles travelling at more than 30 km/h (20 mph ish) and are poor judges of when its safe to cross the road.

It is possible but you have to get rid of any preconceptions you have about how other road users are going to behave.

Edited: February 23, 2017, 11:00 pm
Antipolo City...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
16. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

Drove our family van(nissan urvan 2015) for the first time to Manila-Nueva Vizcaya-Banaue-Sagada (14 hours including stops and 2.5 hours stop over hike at Batad Rice Terraces)then Sagada-Baguio via Halsema Highway-Manila. All roads are paved with some minor road repairs.

It was a long drive. Make sure the driver is physically and mentally rested ( i did this) the vehicle is in top condition ( i checked it myself) and there is NO need to rush ( i did this also ),

Just always be safe and cautious .

You can't enjoy all the fun, sites and adventure these places has to offerif you can't make it there alive.

More fun if travelling with your family.

Ofcourse, pray to God for a safe travel.

Antipolo City...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
17. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

The detour avoiding the La Trinidad traffic was really very helpful. That was coming from Sagada to Baguio.

Metro Manila...
1 post
2 reviews
18. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

Im planning to drive to sagada by the end of the month. It will be my first time. Whats the latest update on road conditions? Also any suggested routes is appreciated. (Would like to drop by banaue rice terraces and baguio.)

Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
19. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

i am planning to do the same manila-baguio-sagada-banaue- and what else along the way back to manila?

preferably halfway between banaue and manila so the driving won't be too much in one day..

The trip would be at the beginning of January. any suggestions? thanks!

Edited: November 23, 2017, 7:27 am
1 post
20. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

Planning to go to sagada this dec 20. My preferred route is banaue-sagada-baguio. What exit will i take at sctex so i can pass through nueva vizcaya?

Reply to: driving from manila - banaue - sagada
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sagada