We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from manila - banaue - sagada

1 post
Save Topic
driving from manila - banaue - sagada

It would be my first time to go here, any tips(road conditions etc..) from you guys would be highly appreciated.

20 replies to this topic
Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

Don't do it. Get a local driver who knows the roads!

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

I second FSRP's advice. Even Filipinos would usually take a local driver used to Cordilleran roads for the Banaue - Sagada part.

PS _ I am assuming you are Filipino or live in the Philippines

Edited: April 29, 2015, 9:28 pm
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,754 posts
1,934 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

It's one of the most dangerous highways in the world. Use a driver experienced in the area.

Tommo

Manila
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

Hi Ace A. Did you drive going to Sagada or heed their advice of getting an experienced driver? Would like to know because my family will also be going to Sagada and my husband plans to bring the family car. Your response will be a great input to our preparation.

Thanks,

Cel

Pampanga Province...
Level Contributor
149 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

Tommo what part of Manila - Banaue - Sagada contains one of the most dangerous highways in the world?

I have ridden up and down the Helsema Hwy plenty of times on a motorbike. I'm not a Filipino, a couple of bikes with GPS's and we have never had any issues. Yes there are literally 1000 hairpin bends but the roads for the most part are paved all the way, not much traffic, a few rock falls.

Cel, if you can follow road signs (I always carry a GPS) the trip you are planning is not an issue. Basically it's 2 roads from Banaue to Sagada. Plenty of small villages to get fuel and food, good roads, some breath taking scenery. Forget hiring a driver get out there and live life.

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

@Ocean_Ranger.

If you google "most dangerous road in the Philippines" then the Halsema Highway is listed. It even features in the top 10 most dangerous roads in the World.

You have done the journey many times by motorcycle. Ace A and Cel O are asking about traveling by car. You know nothing about their skill levels or the condition of their vehicle and so it is completely irresponsible to suggest that they should try it.

TA always recommends safety first. We recommend using experienced local drivers. Exactly how is your experience relevant to the OPs?

If you cannot use the same rules and guidelines as the rest of us, then do not post.

Or will you pay the bill if they are involved in an accident?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

You live everyday but only die once.

So why take the risk?

Hire a driver will be a better choice.

If you are travelling during the wet season, there is a risk of landslide and fallen trees.

No matter how experience you are, it is still not worth taking the risk.

Pampanga Province...
Level Contributor
149 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

@FSRP01

Unlike yourself I answered the question regarding road conditions, and if you noticed I mentioned a few rock falls. Quite correct I have no idea of the condition of their car or their driving abilities. Nor do I know if they have the money to pay for fuel either, but those facts where never mentioned by the OP or Cel.

Not sure where TA moderates the replies to put safety first.

Ace A or Cel, I would be interested on how you finally made the journey.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

better to leave it to the experts, coz road conditions in the mountain and terrain was very different from city driving

4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: driving from manila - banaue - sagada

I've driven these roads many, many times. The only place where a local driver is really important is Manila, where the driving style is... disconcerting, to say the least. The rest is pretty basic. The mountain roads wind and often run beside a cliff, but the cliff is stationary and predictable, unlike the urban driving hazards. Traffic in the mountains is light and the other drivers are in general pretty well behaved.

I would personally recommend going via Baguio, as it allows you to take TPLEX right to the end. The exit from TPLEX is very close to the roads going up to Baguio. If you go via Banaue you end up crawling through a large slice of Central Luzon along the way; the highway is much faster. Baguio can be a good stopover, but if you want to drive straight through cut across to the Ambuklao road and take the left at the top of the hill, the detour gets you out of all the Trinidad traffic.

Reply to: driving from manila - banaue - sagada
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sagada