We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Croatia & Rovinj for the first time.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Croatia & Rovinj for the first time.

Hints, Tips & Recommendations for places of interest welcomed

10 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,092 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Croatia & Rovinj for the first time.

Read the pinned post at the top of Croatian forum. Lots of tips/information there.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
13,190 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Croatia & Rovinj for the first time.

My trip report will give you some tips:-

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g562…

If you have any specific questions let us know.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Croatia & Rovinj for the first time.

Will you be renting a car? What are your interests? When? How long? We need information in order to help you.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Croatia & Rovinj for the first time.

We will be part of a tour. Arrival February, so weather. Interests local history, Churches & monuments.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Croatia & Rovinj for the first time.

Rovinj and most coastal towns are quiet in February with many things closed...not the optimal time, unfortunately. Where is your tour group going? The best way to explore Istria is by car but you can get from A to B by bus if on the routes. Do see the medieval hilltop villages including Grožnjan, Motovun, Oprtalj, Buzet and Hum if you can (lots more, too). Pula and Poreč make good day trips. The Kvarner region is beautiful. Not island weather, however.

Edited: June 13, 2018, 1:14 am
Mentioned in this post
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Pula
Pula
Istria, Croatia
Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Croatia & Rovinj for the first time.

Our tour group is based in Rovinj, with planned trips to pula & porec. During our free time I am interested in visiting local places of interest

Mentioned in this post
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Croatia & Rovinj for the first time.

Pretty much every single tiny village has a church. However, the more notable ones are the one at the top of Rovinj's old town and also Euphrasian basilica ni Poreč (which you can't even see properly without buying a ticket). Then it's a matter of whether you like only old churches or ones that look niteresting. And there are certainly both but I think it's better if an actual religious person recommends some.

Then, there's Pula with its many Roman buildings but also several old churches you might be interested in. Most are along the main pedestrian zone around a small hill in the city centre although you do need to... look around a bit as well. You can see the general area in this short movie of mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7P3yMFgQ5g but you'd need to watch the full one (in real time) for details on how to get to some. Like this one, where you need to venture out of the pedestrian zone (I didn't see any waysigns, just happened to be exploring right there): https://www.youtube.com/watch…

I don't think I'm familiar with any spectacular monument as such, hopefully someone else will know. And of course Motovun and Grožnjan for sure which are incredible (especially Grožnjan). But no idea how accessible even they will be in February as the entire Balkans peninsula has seen some seriously bad weather in February in recent years.

Mentioned in this post
Pula
Pula
Istria, Croatia
Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Croatia & Rovinj for the first time.

Thanks for your information, very helpful, particularly the about the weather, we will try to take adequate heavy wearther clothing.

Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Croatia & Rovinj for the first time.

Porec

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Croatia & Rovinj for the first time.

Yes going there on a visit

Reply to: Visiting Croatia & Rovinj for the first time.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rovinj