We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-days in summer logistics and crowd

New Jersey
Level Contributor
92 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
2-days in summer logistics and crowd

Hi,

We are a family of 4 planning on visiting Huangshan on 9/2-9/3. I understand it's very crowded on weekends. Unfortunately, we'll be ascending on a Sunday. Here is the plan, and wonder if it is workable:

Day 0. Arrive Tangkou from Hangzhou, stay at Tangkou.

Day 1. Morning ascend from Yungu cable. Visit North Sea area, and hike West Sea Grand canyon. Stay at either Xihai or Paiyunlou.

Day 2. Descend western steps.

Questions

- How bad is the crowd on a Sunday morning? Will we be waiting on line for several hours? If so, will we still have enough time to hike West Sea canyon? Does the West Sea canyon close at a certain time?

- How to make hotel reservations? I am assuming we need advanced reservations. Will this have to be done through a Chinese website like Ctrip or Elong?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Huangshan
Huangshan
Anhui, China
Hangzhou
Hangzhou
Zhejiang, China
Xihai Hotel
Xihai Hotel
289 Reviews
Huangshan, China
5 replies to this topic
Huangshan
Level Contributor
327 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-days in summer logistics and crowd

How bad is the crowd on a Sunday morning?

If you arrive at cable terminal around 8 am. you have to wait in queue about 1 hour, and you will reach the top before 10 am.

Will we be waiting on line for several hours?

At most one hour and half.

If so, will we still have enough time to hike West Sea canyon?

Does the West Sea canyon close at a certain time?

Go to make the exploration in the afternoon, the canyon is be your hotel

- How to make hotel reservations? I am assuming we need advanced reservations. Will this have to be done through a Chinese website like Ctrip

Ctrip is better.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
92 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-days in summer logistics and crowd

Thanks John. An hour and half max doesn’t sound terrible. Another questions, if we stay at a hotel in Tangkou, can we leave luggage there assuming we do not return after we descend from the mountain? We need to get back to Shanghai that night. What is the best way to do it? The high speed train from Huangshan to Shanghai leaves around 1:50pm. I feel that is too early. We most likely won’t make it. We can take a bus to Hangzhou, and then take a G train to Shanghai. Is there a better way, bus Huangshan to Shanghai?

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Huangshan
Huangshan
Anhui, China
Hangzhou
Hangzhou
Zhejiang, China
Huangshan
Level Contributor
327 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-days in summer logistics and crowd

1. You can leave your luggage at your hotel before you go to the top, at most 10 yuan / a piece.

2. The best way to return to Shanghai for your situation is take night train, K 8420, 20:00 / 08:00 the nest day.

the rate is only 45 USD for a soft sleeper berth, the cabinet can house 4 people. You can charter one so as to save one night hotel rate from shanghai hotel

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
New Jersey
Level Contributor
92 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-days in summer logistics and crowd

Thanks. To charter a cabinet on a train, I am guessing we need to buy tickets at the station? Never tried sleeper train before. It can be an interesting experience. Is it noisy?

Huangshan
Level Contributor
327 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-days in summer logistics and crowd

One month ahead to charter a cabinet, othereise, four in one can not be guarateed.

Leave a message to me and let me see if I can buy you the tickets or not if you need my help.

Reply to: 2-days in summer logistics and crowd
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted