We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bank of America ATM Withdraw

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
81 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Bank of America ATM Withdraw

Is there any BOA affiliate bank in Manila I can take money out of the ATM? I am out of cash and left the state already. Need to avoid bank fees as I heard the fee is expensive. Any advice would be appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
19 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bank of America ATM Withdraw

I have not been to Manilla but withdrew money 6 times at a Metrobank ATM in Tagbilaran/Bohol on separate days.

My MAYBANK, HSBC & DBS bankcards was only able to withdraw 4000php each time with a transaction fee of 200php per transaction. So in total i paid 1200php in transaction fees for 24000php that i withdrew..

At a few other bank ATMs, the bankcards were all ejected out.

If u did not bring sufficient $$ or overspent(like me) & can't find BOA Branch, bear with the bank fees..

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Bohol Island
Bohol Island
Bohol Province, Philippines
Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,999 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bank of America ATM Withdraw

If you tell us what systems your Bank of America card uses, ( EG PLUS, CIRRUS, STAR, VISA MASTERCARD etc )

I can give you some ideas of which banks to seek out.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bank of America ATM Withdraw

I do not think there are any BoA ATMs in Manila. As for affiliate banks - try HSBC ATMs and any of the major banks. But I think they all will charge the surcharge of 200 pesos - which should not matter to you now as you are in dire straits and this is an emergency.

Withdraw 10k pesos at a time as your surcharge is "per withdrawal" and not based on your withdrawal amount. Some HSBC ATMs allow you to withdraw more - but every ATM I have encountered has always allowed 10K max at a time.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bank of America ATM Withdraw

I have withdrawn money from Filipino Bank ATMs on both my trips to Bohol & has never been able to withdraw more than 4000php each time using my overseas bank cards from MAYBANK, HSBC & DBS.

I tried keying in 5000php & did not suceed a single time.

The Metrobank pple assisting me(can see that i'm a tourist) mentioned 4000php is the maximum. I have learnt my lesson & will bring more cash on my next trip.. basicallyba 5% charge..

Mentioned in this post
Bohol Island
Bohol Island
Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,999 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bank of America ATM Withdraw

on both my trips to Bohol & has never been able to withdraw more than 4000php each time using my overseas bank cards from MAYBANK, HSBC & DBS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You were using the wrong banks. BPI, which has many outlets on Bohol, including at Alona Beach, allow P10,000 per withdrawal.

If you were in Cebu City before travelling to Bohol, you could have used HSBC

HSBC in the Philippines allow withdrawals of up to P40,000 at a time and do not charge a P200 fee like all other Philippines banks.

Mentioned in this post
Bohol Island
Bohol Island
Alona Beach
Alona Beach
2,213 Reviews
Panglao Island, Philippines
Cebu City
Cebu City
Cebu Island, Philippines
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bank of America ATM Withdraw

You wont find a BOA ATM over there so your best bet is to just withdraw 10kpesos at a time to soften the blow of the ATM fees on top of your bank fee. My aussie bank charged $5 per withdrawal plus the Filipino ATM charge of 200 pesos, if you withdraw the 10k limit then its not so bad

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bank of America ATM Withdraw

Thks BigJim for the advice..

I went to BPI & in Tagbilaran both times i was there to try all the ATMs for withdrawal of $$ & did not suceed a single time.

Even my Maybank bankcard was not able to withdraw a single php from the MAYBANK ATMs in Tagbilaran. They requested me to make an international phone inquiry to Singapore!!

Because i was short of cash, my Habal habal driver brought me throughout Tagbilaran to even Island Mall searching for any local & foreign bank's ATMs, for withdrawal of cash.

I brought my Metrobank withdrawal slips as evidence to show Maybank Tagbilaran staff. They are at a lost for words & simply apologize telling me that there is always no guarantee that overseas bankcards will work, even for the same bank..

Thanks for the info of HSBC ATMs in Cebu City even though i normally only transit through Cebu City between destinations.

I tried my bankcards at 2 Filipino bank ATMs near Ayala Mall & did not worked.

I have titally no idea why Metrobank ATMs were the only bank ATMS i suceeded in cash withdrawal..

Nest trip i will not risk it & ensure i bring sufficient cash to avoid this heavy lesson.. planning Camotes for next trip so i will not risk the ATMs not accepting my bankcards there..

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Cebu City
Cebu City
Cebu Island, Philippines
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Bank of America ATM Withdraw

i have been running into the same problem. my boa freaked me out when i left to manila. i was broke and my boa card wouldnt work. i found a boa office in makati who let me use their phone to call boa usa. i was on hold for one hour and the usa office straighened it out..

unfortunatly i lost the # but it is in makati. i just spent 100us on a call to the states and they assured me everything was ok. but justcame from the bank and nooooo.

i feel for you and am about to try again.

no wonder they are boa. they should be called boa constrictors. hope things work out.

sincerely kevin

helioxdiving@gmail.com

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bank of America ATM Withdraw

Correct me if i am wrong about youur current situation..

U still have your BOA card? If so, try out any ATMs u can find within your area until 1 works.. start from your higher amounts, e.g. 20k pesos, go lower to 10k or 5k until $$ can be withdrawn..

u get charged for 200 pesos per transactions but surely better than getting broke?

I went back to Maybank in Tagbilaran just to show them the receipts that there is $$ in my account but forget abt making any more international calls to USA..

This same thing happened to me in Phuket as well.. the ATM that could finally withdraw $$ from DBS, Maybank & HSBC was from 1 of the smallest Thailand local bank(with no branches overseas).. my hotel driver drove me around to more than 10 ATM locations for nearly 2 hours before i could finally get hold of this ATM that i can some $$$.

Cheers & just forget about complaining or grumbling to BOA..

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Pomeroy, Washington
Level Contributor
508 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bank of America ATM Withdraw

Reading this thread makes it obvious. Be sure to take several cards when you travel abroad. Just in case one is balky or won't work. Another problem, your ID could get stolen and the bank may be forced to put a hold on your account. Authorize all of them for international purchases before you leave your home country.

Going to place like the Camotes can be problematic because of the small population and few banks. Take plenty of cash. Their ATM may take foreign cards, but could be out of service for some reason or another. Learned that the hard way on Siquijor.

Your main card should not charge a foreign transaction fee. Those charges can really add up. The op is an American, here's the link...

creditcards.com/no-foreign-transaction-fee.p…

...Not much way to get out of ATM fees.

I take four cards, use only two. Capital One for purchases. Debit card for cash. Both get tested immediately upon arrival to make sure they work.

Many businesses in the Philippines do NOT take credit cards, This gets worse as you explore further from the cities. Cash is king in the Philippines.

Mentioned in this post
Siquijor Island
Siquijor Island
Visayas, Philippines
Reply to: Bank of America ATM Withdraw
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted