We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17 y.o. travelling

Freeland, Washington
Level Contributor
36 posts
66 reviews
17 y.o. travelling

My son's father wants to take him to the Philippines at Christmas for six days-- one travelling each way, and four days there. They would leave from Vancouver B.C., fly to Manila, bus to Baguio. On the return, my son would travel alone, by plane from Baguio to Manila, non-stop flight from Manila to Vancouver, connect to Seattle. Does this seem reasonable for a 17 y.o. to do? I am concerned about the connections in Manila and in Vancouver.

My son says he wants to be home in WA for Christams, but I think he willbe wiped out from the travel and the time zone changes, and would be better off staying there longer. Any thoughts>

Thanks

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
643 posts
153 reviews
1. Re: 17 y.o. travelling

Hi lilybodge! That's a pretty short visit considering the long travel time from Vancouver to Manila. He would still be adjusting to the time and weather here by day 1 and 2. Then he will be leaving again on the 4th day.

I don't know how well-travelled you son is, but if he's used to travelling, then it's not really a big issue if he travels alone. You only need to instruct him on what he has to do like finding his gates, what's not allowed to bring in hand carried bags, etc. If this is his first time travelling, that's another story although, I think he can manage as long as you give instructions carefully.

You're right! Your son will be wiped out by the time he gets to WA with that kind of schedule. Maybe, he would be better off spending Christmas here. This is one of the places where Christmas is celebrated with great festivities and all families get together to party.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
18,706 posts
2. Re: 17 y.o. travelling

Six days is too short a visit! Jet lag, getting used to the time changes is going to knock you out a little. He would be better off staying a little longer in the P.I.

Only you know how "together" your kid is. If he normally gets screwed up and needs constant "guidance" then he may get screwed up meeting connections.

Check the time he has for making connections, if he has little time and will be rushing from gate to gate then he may screw up. More time between connections more chance to get right.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: 17 y.o. travelling

I agree. My younger sister negotated a flight from London to Manila without a hitch, including stopover in the middle east. I collected her from the airport and we flew on to Boracay.

She stayed in Boracay for a month then negotiated the return journey by herself. But she was a pretty savvy kid, and only you know yours. Arm him with all the relevant info. Transfers are usually easy as the route through the airport is marked "transit" and if he should be confused by anything, tell him to stop at the nearest info desk.

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
734 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: 17 y.o. travelling

There are places that remain peaceful and quiet during Christmastime, Manila and Baguio ain't any of them! You can see and feel Christmas here, but beware of the stress that comes with it. Traffic, traffic, and oh, did I mention traffic?

Airports and bus terminals will be packed, specially during the last two weekends before the 25th. Ample time should be given to be sure. If they're cutting it too close, it might be a total waste.

Only one airline does the Baguio route, that's Asian Spirit. The last times I took flights to Baguio, I noticed there were vans outside the Baguio airport which I learned were always on standby for passengers in dire need to go back to the city. The vans are usually there as cancelled flights are normal due to heavy fog or unfavorable landing conditions. I haven't experienced this yet, though we've been stressed for delays and experienced praying so hard as we needed to fly back to Manila asap.

If your son wishes to do an Amazing race, he should be prepared for it. He needs to familiarize himself where to go, how much travel time needed, etc. Plus of course what to do and see, making the most of his limited visit.

I guess my most important tip is for him to arrive in Manila at least 5 hours before his flight back to Vancouver. Even if his flight from Baguio arrives on time, he still needs to go out of the Domestic airport and travel to the International airport. I guess he's taking Philippine Airlines since it's the only direct flight to Vancouver that I use. On normal days that only be about 10-15 minutes by cab. But considering the wait for claiming of checked in baggage, getting transportation, the traffic, checking into security again for the intl flight, etc. If I was in his place, I'd be in Manila the day before the flight. Though I don't mind gearing up for an Amazing Race type trip as always!

He just has to be psyched up to do so.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: 17 y.o. travelling

Sounds like a very tiring journey.

Just something I thought of, and I don't know the rules myself, is that as he is under 18 do you need any documents/permission for him to leave the PI unaccompanied by his father?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
643 posts
153 reviews
6. Re: 17 y.o. travelling

I don't think you need to have parental permission to travel as long as you have documents proving you're a resident of another country.

7. Re: 17 y.o. travelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: September 13, 2009, 3:20 am
Get answers to your questions about Manila