We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NAIA Terminal 2 - Connecting flight

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
NAIA Terminal 2 - Connecting flight

Hello,

We are arriving at Terminal 2 of NAIA airport at 2pm via PAL from LHR. Our next flight then takes us to Cebu (via PAL) leaving NAIA at about 6pm.

My plan is to have bags tagged through to Cebu so that I do not have to pick up bags in Manila.

Q1 Do I have to go through the immigration/customs process in Manila since I am expecting I will only have to do this in Cebu

Coming home, well that involves an overnight stopover in Manila.

Q2 Is there anywhere to stay within the airport (T2)?

Q3 If I am to stay outside the airport, do I have to bring my bags with me or can I check them through to LHR and leave them there? If I leave the airport, do they give me a boarding pass that I then use the next day when I come back to the airport.

Sorry - lots of questions. I find the airport stressful at the best of times, particularly immigration (have had a bad experience) so hope I only have to do it once :-)

Mentioned in this post
Cebu Island
Cebu Island
Visayas, Philippines
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
9 replies to this topic
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
4,785 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NAIA Terminal 2 - Connecting flight

I am not sure whether you will have to collect bags at T2 to clear customs but if you do you can drop them off straight away for your Cebu flight.

Immigration will be in T2 but will not take long, " hello Sir, where are you going, look at the camera,thank you," stamp the computer system is fairly efficient and once they have your photo on system just makes a swish of your passport necessary for leaving.

If you have not already booked the airline website has returns at 9am from Cebu to connect and with one ticket if there is a foul up they will put you up in a hotel until the next day.

If you are touring around or need to make a separate booking then overnighting in Manila is advised.

The airport isn't far away from the main hotel districts so stay in Pasay if you want to be closest and to get to Mall Of Asia or Ermita around Robinsons Mall is popular or Makati. The taxi fare to either will be around 250/300 pesos or download the GRAB app. Look on a hotel booking site map such as agoda or booking.com and google maps to get your bearings.

You have a little time the next morning to look around Intramuros if you want, the earlier you start the better as it hots up after nine in the morning.

During your transit you can do nothing apart from use the free WiFi and eat or stand outside the building having sensibly changed into a very thin t shirt and shorts /dress and take in the atmosphere and sweat a little.

Mentioned in this post
Cebu Island
Cebu Island
Visayas, Philippines
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Pasay
Pasay
Luzon, Philippines
Asia
Asia
World
Makati
Makati
Luzon, Philippines
Intramuros
Intramuros
3,023 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
puerto princesa
Level Contributor
4,722 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NAIA Terminal 2 - Connecting flight

Nowhere to sleep at T2.

You will pass through immigration/customs at T2.

Not 100% sure if your bags will go straight through but i suspect they will not

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
5,175 posts
625 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NAIA Terminal 2 - Connecting flight

From what I recall, it is only flights originating from the US passing through Manila where luggages are cleared in Cebu. Everybody else needs to clear their luggage in Manila. However, the procedure is very easy. Take your luggage out of the baggage carousel, cursory pass by customs who will just nod their head, bring back to the right side of the carousel where there is someone who will receive your luggages. These are tagged with supposedly a yellow packaging tape on your strap, and it is returned to the carousel. You will then go out and walk over to the domestic side with a boarding pass for your cebu flight which will be given to you at LHR.

For your homebound flight, your luggage will be tagged in Cebu airport and you will see it in LHR, this assumes that your connecting flight is within 12 hours of arrival of your Cebu-Manila flight. You will be holding 2 boarding passes upon check in at Cebu airport if such is the case. You will transfer to the international side and go through immigration only.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Cebu Island
Cebu Island
Visayas, Philippines
London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: NAIA Terminal 2 - Connecting flight

Thanks for all your replies.

In the case of stopping in Manila overnight - assuming I hold a boarding pass from MNL to LHR, is that all I need to present (along with passport) when returning to the airport the next day? Do I have to go through the check-in process again?

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Ninoy Aquino Intl Airport
Luzon, Philippines
philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,175 posts
625 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NAIA Terminal 2 - Connecting flight

you will reenter the international side of manila terminal 2 holding passport and boarding pass. After the xray, turn left if you hold a foreign passport, turn right if you hold a Philippines passport. This is to go to immigration.

Mentioned in this post
Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,983 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NAIA Terminal 2 - Connecting flight

I agree with Al22tecc in post 3. I would just like to add,

- The internal customs inspector who will put the yellow tag on your luggage is located between the carousels. And despite the fact that the instructions are to put the luggage back on the carousel after it has been tagged, I have never had to do that. A baggage handler has always been there to take my bag away and put it on the domestic flight.

- Use the trip from exiting the international arrivals hall to entering the domestic departures to get cashed up and get a Filipino SIM card. My favourite provider is GLOBE. There are 3 money changers in front of you as you exit the international arrivals hall. The exchange rates are pretty good these days.

Going home, at Terminal 2, It used to be left for foreigners and right for Filipinos but my last trip out in August, you could use either end of the terminal to depart.

What makes no sense to me is why you need an overnight stop over in Manila. PAL has domestic flights from Mactan Cebu to Manila from early morning to late at night. The minimum connection time for a domestic flight to an international flight at Terminal 2 is one hour

https:/…ConnectingFlights

Surely there is a later flight you can take that still meets the minimum connection time. I just checked the timetable starting 25th March. There are 8 flights every day from 4.10am to 10pm from Mactan cebu to Manila

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Mactan Island
Mactan Island
Cebu Island, Philippines
philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,175 posts
625 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NAIA Terminal 2 - Connecting flight

bj61, supposedly the left side is exclusive for non philippine passport while the right side is open to all.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: NAIA Terminal 2 - Connecting flight

Thanks for your help. I am enquring with my airline about changing my flight to avoid the stopover.

Just one last question - do I go through immigration in MNL, CEB or both?

Many thanks

Edited: February 08, 2018, 10:19 pm
Mentioned in this post
Luzon, Philippines
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
4,785 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NAIA Terminal 2 - Connecting flight