We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checked bags at connecting flight

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Checked bags at connecting flight

Hi, I am flying from Canada to Manila then have a connecting flight to Bangkok from there. I am wondering if I will have to pick up my checked luggage in Manila and go through customs? The ticket is booked as one and both flights are through PAL. I am not wanting to make the connecting flight to Bangkok and stay in Manila, is this possible? I have no further flights associated with this booking, as I'm aware they would be cancelled for missing a leg of my flight. Thanxx

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
11 replies to this topic
Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,983 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checked bags at connecting flight

If you have a return flight from Manila to Canada, then my suggestion is you contact PAL and cancel the Bangkok flight as it is my belief if you miss on leg, they cancel the rest.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
5,175 posts
625 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Checked bags at connecting flight

what i understand is that you have a ticket from canada to manila to bangkok. and now you want to get out at manila and not push tru with your flight to bangkok? if you intend to get out at manila, why did you book a ticket all the way to bangkok?

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checked bags at connecting flight

I guess you should mention this when you check in and then you will know for sure.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checked bags at connecting flight

Big Jim 61 is right. If you miss one leg of a trip - the first leg - then your ticket will be cancelled and your seat resold. Best sort this out before leaving, try rebook the flight minus the BKK portion. Do this now, not on the day you're checking in because by then it might be way too late.

Edited: February 07, 2018, 1:31 pm
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
4,779 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Checked bags at connecting flight

You will not be allowed to break your journey without permission or changing your ticket to one to Manila without charges and may not be able to change at all.

A ticket somewhere direct usually costs more than via a transit port so London to Manila on Air China can cost 300 pounds return but on the same day and the same plane a return to Beijing is four hundred and fifty.

If you just have hand luggage then having already been given a boarding pass the Bangkok flight may then be delayed and “will the last remaining passenger go to gate ....” announcements are made and you may find on leaving the Philippines being met by someone in uniform when you try to check in. The immigration computer is fully aware of when you arrived and on what flight and if the airline have filed a police complaint on what you have done.

Edited: February 07, 2018, 2:51 pm
Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Checked bags at connecting flight

Okay, so even if I was able to claim my checked bag, it would be hard to get through customs as they would know of my connecting flight?

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Checked bags at connecting flight

I had booked my flight a few months ago and planed to start my trip in Thailand however now my friends are unable to go to Thailand for a month after I arrive. So we wanted to start in Philippines instead since I'd be flying there first. It is also the LAST leg of my flights booked, so nothing that could be cancelled afterwards

Edited: February 07, 2018, 5:23 pm
Mentioned in this post
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
4,779 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Checked bags at connecting flight

You will have no problems with customs .The problem you will have is on check in asking the check in staff to check you in for a one way flight to Manila when you possess a ticket to Bangkok. You will be directed to the ticketing office to purchase a one way ticket and if your ticket to Bangkok is a return then the return part will be invalid.

Edited: February 07, 2018, 5:43 pm
Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Checked bags at connecting flight

Okay, thank you for the help!

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
5,175 posts
625 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Checked bags at connecting flight

do you have access to a pal ticket office in canada? or use twitter or facebook to discuss your situation.

Reply to: Checked bags at connecting flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted