We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Manila-tour advice

California
Level Contributor
360 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Manila-tour advice

We will be in Manila for a day in April from 8 to 6 while on a cruise stop. I’ve been to Manila before so I know how challenging the traffic can be. With that in mind, could you give advice on the following tour possibilities? We would like to visit the American Cemetery and Memorial, Chinese Cemetery, Chinatown, Jeepney Factory, Manila Cathedral, Fort Santiago and environs and maybe have lunch. We definitely want to see the cemeteries, Jeepney Factory and Chinatown. After that, what would we have time for? We’ve been to Intramuros before so a revisit would be nice but not critical. We can either use a taxi or Tourist Driver or a service along those lines. All suggestions are welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Manila For A Day
Manila For A Day
107 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Manila Cathedral
Manila Cathedral
904 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Fort Santiago
Fort Santiago
1,725 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Intramuros
Intramuros
3,031 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
8 replies to this topic
1. Re: One day in Manila-tour advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: January 13, 2018, 5:45 am

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
4,787 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Manila-tour advice

If you are going to visit the magnificent Chinese Cemetery where the guard will show you around for free, it might be beneficial to see Manila North Cemetery which is more or less next door. Here you will see about 10,000 squatters living among the tombs. Some have lived here for 50 years and we found that the residents were quite friendly and willing to talk to us.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,015 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Manila-tour advice

The Manila Cathedral and Fort Santiago are inside Intramuros. So the environs you might visit would be the rest of Intramuros. 2 other locations that for me are must not miss are

- San Agustin Church. For the church but also the upstairs museum.

- Casa Manila. A Spanish merchants home set up as it might have been in the 18th or 19th century. it is opposite San Agustin Church.

Mentioned in this post
Manila Cathedral
Manila Cathedral
904 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Fort Santiago
Fort Santiago
1,725 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Intramuros
Intramuros
3,031 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
San Agustin Church
San Agustin Church
1,353 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Casa Manila
Casa Manila
349 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,790 posts
2,140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Manila-tour advice

<< We can either use a taxi or Tourist Driver or a service along those lines. >>

Both will work but I would use one of tripadvisor recommended drivers with proven positive feedback other than a random taxi. Tourist Driver is a person I am happy to recommend.

Driver list here: << https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g29… >>>

California
Level Contributor
360 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Manila-tour advice

Thank you for all the responses. Do we have to make a reservation to go to the Jeepney Factory or do we just show up? Do you think all the places I listed can be visited in one day? I’m not sure of distances between Jeepney Factory to American Cemetery to Chinese Cemetery to Chinatown to Intramuros...

Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
3,031 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
689 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Manila-tour advice

In Luneta, there is the Museum of Archaeology. I visited a week ago, and they've done a very good job turning it into a world class exhibit of Philippine culture. Excellent displays on 3 floors so far (5th floor is still being worked on.) Across the road is the National Museum (mostly art.). A third museum Museum of Natural History (I guess devoted to flora and fauna) will not be ready until April. It might be open when you get here. It has an interesting dome inside the courtyard (just seeing the photos). Museum of Archaeology is good for visitors looking for "cultural" things about the Philippines. The museums are FREE admission. I highly recommend the 3 museums as they are only across from each other, with their neo classical (American era) buildings.

Mentioned in this post
Luneta Hotel
Luneta Hotel
54 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
National Museum
National Museum
564 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Manila-tour advice

depending on where your accommodations. Example if your accommodations is in Manila, i suggest that you start with the chinese cemetery, chinatown and the San Agustin Church. Then proceed to the American cemetery in Bonifacio global city and end the day in the High street area of BGC.

If your accommodations is in the Makati area you can do the reverse program. Remember traffic is terrible in the Metro. You can't cover as many grounds as you like it to be.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
San Agustin Church
San Agustin Church
1,353 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Makati
Makati
Luzon, Philippines
Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,015 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Manila-tour advice

For Victor V, They will probably dock at the Overseas passenger Terminal.

Then just have the day time before they have to be back at the Overseas Passenger terminal and continue their cruise.

Reply to: One day in Manila-tour advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted