We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Manila

j n
HKG
Level Contributor
188 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Manila

I'm planning on staying in the Ermita area (Near Robinsons) so I have easy access to the Intramuros and Rizal Park area on foot. I'm assuming it will be easy enough to get to Manila Baywalk, Metropolitan Museum and even SM MOA on foot from there? Will it be safe, should I take a cab at night?

I'm not quite sure how easily I will be able to get to other parts like Quiapo, Makati, Sampaloc and possibly Quezon. I think there is a bus or jeep from the Ermita area to Quaipo. I will probably take a cab to Makati. I just need to know what to expect in terms of cab fare and ride duration from places like SM MOA to Greenbelt or Greenbelt to Robinsons Manila. Should I expect metered rates and journey times to be different in the morning compared to rush hour and late in the evening, when exactly is rush hour in Manila anyway?

Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
2,987 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Rizal Park
Rizal Park
1,717 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Makati
Makati
Luzon, Philippines
10 replies to this topic
Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Manila

All the places you mention are walkable except Quezon and I assume you mean Quezon City ad not Quezon Province which is a 5 hour bus journey.

However, the heat m be difficult for you and so for Quezon City, MOA and Sampaloc consider a taxi. Grab and Uber are available

Walkong around,you may be approached by beggars, itinerant sellers and scammers but just say NO and keep walking.

Pickpockets are everywhere, as they are in most cities, so be aware of your surroundings and be discreet with jewelry etc.

Traffic is a nightmare and journey times during peak hours can be 4 times longer than off peak

Peak is 6.30 to 10am and 4 to 9pm

Fares are very reasonable and a trip to MOA should be less than P200 but it depends on traffic.

Mentioned in this post
Quezon City
Quezon City
Luzon, Philippines
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Manila

walking is hard work, just like Hong Kong in June but more humid more traffic fumes and pavements full of holes and obstructions.

jee[neys are virtually impossible to work out the routes without local knowkedge but taxis are cheap and plentiful however I have noted around robinsons many will refuse to put on the meter and seek a fare three times the correct fare which will work out abour 20 pesos a kilometer. Go on google mps t0 work out the distance

Download GRAB app on your phone, like Uber and you know what the fare should be

Edited: December 08, 2017, 7:34 am
Mentioned in this post
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
291 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Manila

Ermita (near Robinsons) to Intramuros is about 2km. Coming from HK, you should be fine walking long distances. But remember this is Manila and Manila is not so walkable. Intramuros to Met Museum via Baywalk is far. I suggest that you use Grab/Uber. But if you are adventurous, you can take our rickety jeepneys. I don't encourage that though. But if you decide to use them, there's a website/app that can help you with the jeepney routes. http://www.sakay.ph/

Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
2,987 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
j n
HKG
Level Contributor
188 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Manila

Thanks guys. I have a better idea of the kind of distance I want to cover on foot and I would like to ask after more specific information if it's available.

@travelholic, you are right, 2km is nothing for a HK'er and walking is my preferred way of getting around even with my growing list of foot and knee issues that affect my mobility.

Robinsons to Intramuros and Rizal Park shouldn't be a problem. I was hoping I could walk from there to MOA but the roads don't seem so pedestrian friendly. I wonder if there is a main thoroughfare I should choose or would it be fine to walk along any of the roads as long as I'm headed in the right direction? I think Taft and Baywalk seem more accommodating to pedestrians compared to the smaller streets in between.

Just in case, I want to know if there are jeepney routes available for this short trip (Robinsons to MOA). Grab and uber are preferred over a cab? Do taxi drivers here complain and get angry when passengers ask for short distance trips? Buses, how about buses?

I see pedicabs, I don't know if I can take those just anywhere, I think they are restricted to certain streets only.

Makati:

It's still early but I don't think I will be able to walk to Makati or Glorietta area so easily. Again, are there any jeeps or bus routes I can take? What can I expect to pay a cab?

Quiapo: I will be looking into taking the LRT to get there but what can I expect to pay taking a cab from the Ermita area? Again, any jeeps or bus routes I should familiarize myself with.

Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
2,987 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Rizal Park
Rizal Park
1,717 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Makati
Makati
Luzon, Philippines
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,623 posts
2,075 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Manila

Just stick to taxis, grab or uber as this is the easiest and quickest route for those longer distances.

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Manila

Taxi drivers love short trips because it is a quick turnover.

Don't use anything without a fare matrix. Tricycles and Pedecabs WILL overcharge you.

After 30 years visiting and living here, I still walk in preference to tricycle or pedecabs.

Jeepney Drivers and Bus Crews do not always speak English. Tmmo gives good advice.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
4,172 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around Manila

We have walked from Ermita to MOA on several occasions using Roxas Blvd , by the bay. Once you leave the blvd it is a little bit boring but the Coconut Palace is worth a look.

Best way to get to Quezon is MRT to EDSA then a short walk to the other MRT at Taft and catch the train to Quezon. The train begins at Taft so you should get a seat.

I suggest you visit Quiapo after Rizal park and Intramuros as it is just across the bridge near Chinatown.

Another interesting way to get to Quezon would be to take the Pasig River Ferry from Intramuros t(by the immigration office) to Guadalupe and catch the metro from there. The trip is well worth doing as you will pass by Malacanang Palace and see parts of Manila that tourists normally don't see.

primer.com.ph/travel/…

Mentioned in this post
Coconut Palace
Coconut Palace
44 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Intramuros
Intramuros
2,987 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Chinatown
Chinatown
343 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Malacanang Palace
Malacanang Palace
6 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Houston, Texas...
Level Contributor
92 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around Manila

I rented a taxi for 4 hours at the airport during a long layover a couple of days ago just to cruise around the city, drop me off to eat lunch then return to the airport for my departing flight and it cost 1300 pesos plus a 200 peso tip. For a total of $7.00 usd and hour I thought it was a good (cheap) way to wait on a flight. Just don't cut yourself short as traffic can just stop. A cab just outside the terminal area (walk up the steps past the airport cabs) was 100 pesos from terminal 3 to terminal 1. That driver offered to do 300 pesos an hour.

The traffic in the areas you are wanting to visit can be extremely slow moving (I mean you could walk faster) but even this can be pretty entertaining while moving along at a snails pace.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
61 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting around Manila

Hello. If you really want to walk all the way to MOA, I do not recommend going through Taft Avenue.

As for needing a cab, Uber is better especially at night. You can check for estimates https://www.uber.com/en-PH/fare-estimate/ Should be the about the same rates (may be cheaper) with METERED white cabs, or Grab.

Rush hour around 7-10am and then 4-8pm. But traffic can build up starting 6am all the way until 9pm. Can extend some more especially in Manila area because of large trucks travelling outside truck ban hours.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
291 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting around Manila

Robinsons Place Manila to MOA:

At Taft Avenue (cor Pedro Gil or Padre Faura), take Baclaran jeep and alight at Buendia (Gil Puyat). From there, there are orange jeepneys going to MOA.

Alternatively, you can take LRT1 Pedro Gil station and alight at Gil Puyat and take the orange jeepneys to MOA. There's also blue jeepneys at the station after Gil Puyat, EDSA station.

Pedicabs are not allowed along the main roads.

Robinsons Place to Makati:

Same as bus/jeep to Gil Puyat above, then from Gil Puyat, there are buses to Glorietta.

Robinsons Manila to Quiapo:

There are jeeps to Quaipo along Taft Avenue. You can also take LRT1 from Pedro Gil station to Doroteo Jose station.

Our buses/jeepney routes are so unlike HK. Don't think it will be that easy. Plus, it will be hard for you to recognize where you are if you are not relying on your GPS.

Taxis are fine. But personally, I prefer Grab and Uber. Almost zero chance of being ripped off.

Mentioned in this post
Makati
Makati
Luzon, Philippines
Reply to: Getting around Manila
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted