We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Nazarene 2018

j n
HKG
Level Contributor
219 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Black Nazarene 2018

I'm planning a quick trip for the first week of January 2018, mostly planning on staying and seeing the sites near Intramuros area.

I've been interested in seeing the Black Nazarene procession for a couple of years now. I don't know what the expected crowds are like for 2018, I hear they have been growing steadily over the years. I don't need to get up close just, get a glimpse and maybe follow from a distance if the crowds are too thick.

I'm thinking of arriving a few days early, do a dry run get to Quiapo church and familiarize myself with the area of the route.

I'm just wondering if the online sources for the times/maps and routes for the procession are accurate? The most detailed map I can find is on the GMA website from 2014 but I don't know if it's the same route as I've heard they change up every year, I don't know if it's the same for the starting point though.

If anyone has any additional advice for someone planning a solo trip with this in mind, I would really appreciate it.

Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
3,076 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Quiapo Church
Quiapo Church
388 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Manila Old and New: Sightseeing Tour...
57 Reviews
from US$47.99*
Free Cancellation
WWII and Corregidor Island...
41 Reviews
from US$127.94*
Free Cancellation
Tagaytay Ridge Tour from Manila...
40 Reviews
from US$97.94*
Free Cancellation
10 replies to this topic
Metro Manila...
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,906 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Nazarene 2018

Get a hotel near Luneta Park as the procession will start from Quirino Grandstand so you can view all the action if your room faces the procession route. As you already know that there will be hundreds of thousands of people who will share a small space then I suggest you don't bring anything that you can't afford to loose and that includes cellphone and wallet. You can just bring maybe ₱200 max as you will walk to your hotel anyway because public transpo vehicles will be rerouted to avoid the area.

The route will not matter much as the procession once even took more than 20 hours and I don't think you want to be there from start to finish.

Mentioned in this post
Luneta Hotel
Luneta Hotel
56 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
j n
HKG
Level Contributor
219 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Nazarene 2018

Thank you. Is there a way for me to know exactly where the statue is along the route? I suppose I could just show up at the main grandstand early.

Right now I'm looking at a hotel near Robinsons. I don't know if that's ideal, if you can recommend anything better, below 50 usd would be preferable. I don't necessarily need a view of the route from the hotel and I'm not afraid to walk a bit, I'm used to walking upwards of 6-8k (not including hiking) carrying camera equipment while on holiday.

Obviously for this trip, I will be travelling light. From my previous experiences in the Philippines, leaving valuables at hotels was just as risky as taking them out with out for an event like this but I won't bring much. I'm assuming there are a good number of police or tanods to help out with the people attending the event?

Mentioned in this post
Metro Manila...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,906 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black Nazarene 2018

The route will be announced in newspapers, radio, TV, social media etc. so it would not be a secret.

Staying in Ermita is a good choice and it's not far from where the procession will start. Kimberly Hotel has newly renovated rooms and within your budget. It is also near a mall and Pedro Gil LRT station so you can take the MTR (as you say in HK) if you want to go to Quiapo via Carriedo station.

Do you have a bad experience leaving valuables on a hotel safe?

Mentioned in this post
Kimberly Hotel
Kimberly Hotel
324 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
j n
HKG
Level Contributor
219 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black Nazarene 2018

I was starting to think it was being kept secret. How long before the even do they announce? I have not really started doing my research for this trip, save for a few quick searches here and there. So far I have not found a single blog post or guide detailing the events of the Nazarene feast. I guess I'll just show up and see what happens on the day.

I personally don't have any negative experiences but I've heard stories of people losing belongings it small hotels and pension houses across the Philippines. Relatives of mine are always warning me of that sort of thing even though I haven't been to the Philippines in close to 20 years. I'm not sure yet what kind of hotel 50usd gets me in January in during a large event but I'd feel safer with my valuables on me at all times.

It's not really a big deal as I'll be able to fit all my valuables in my daypack for this trip. I'm more concerned about the the general safety of the Ermita area where I'll be staying. Again, my information is a little dated but wasn't Ermita the red light district, or part of the red light district in Manila? Not that red light districts are inherently unsafe but I've always heard people telling others to stay away from Ermita.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Metro Manila...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,906 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black Nazarene 2018

They will announce it even before you arrive Manila as everyone needs to know what roads are closed as there will be traffic rerouting and for people to avoid the area if they are not interested attending the event.

Did you check the hotel I mentioned above? I think it would be good enough and the room would be very spacious than what you can get in HK for $50.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Black Nazarene 2018

yes, Ermita-malate is THE OLD RED LIGHT DISTRICT...and in some ways, it still is...but not like the bad old days...it is a bohemian, eclectic part of the city..lots of activity...I happen to find myself in manila 4 years ago during the black nazarene ( rizal park area)...i have always tried to avoid it...but my mother in law had an appointment in the area...it really is a young, peaceful crowd...cheerful for the most part...there are families too...all wearing a shade of red and in bare feet...

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Black Nazarene 2018

Better to watch it from a distance and in TV rather than get involved.

Every year people die during the procession.

Also there will be many pickpockets among the devotees.

Metro Manila...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,906 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Black Nazarene 2018

If you're staying in Ermita you don't need to bring anything aside from bottled water as it would be humid during the procession. You just need to walk to and from the procession so you don't even need money.

There are at least 5 schools & colleges in Ermita so the area is busy. The Philippine Supreme Court is even located in Ermita.

Edited: December 06, 2017, 12:45 pm
j n
HKG
Level Contributor
219 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Black Nazarene 2018

Thanks. I did look up the hotel you suggested as well as a few others. It seems there are plenty to choose from in the area, there's no need to look around Malate,Makati or Sampaloc unless you have other suggestions for me. I'm going to look for something cheaper if possible since I'll be out most of the day and the only valuables I'll have will be my camera, phone and shoes which I'll have on me at all times I don't need to worry about what I leave behind in the room.

As for the Black Nazarene, I've looked around online and on youtube for videos of past processions to familiarize myself. I guess I'll just have to wait until the announcement for this years route comes out before making more specific plans.

Mentioned in this post
Makati
Makati
Luzon, Philippines
Quezon City...
Level Contributor
335 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Black Nazarene 2018

if you wanna see some action. book at manila hotel. or rizal hotel. they are literally right next to the grandstand

make sure to ask for a room that faces quirino grandstand and do try to ask for a newly renovated room.

the hotel is not that expensive for a 5 star.

Reply to: Black Nazarene 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted