We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intramuros

usa
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Intramuros

Hi,

I plan on visiting the historical attractions in Intramuros - how is the feel in this area during daytime? Does this area feel a bit dodgy? Lot of people around? Do I need to keep watching over my shoulder everytime? I know I need big city smarts, but just wondering if it is like in a regular big city like Mexico City or different (atleast in Intrmuros)

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
3,074 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Manila Old and New: Sightseeing Tour...
57 Reviews
from US$47.99*
Free Cancellation
WWII and Corregidor Island...
41 Reviews
from US$127.94*
Free Cancellation
Tagaytay Ridge Tour from Manila...
40 Reviews
from US$97.94*
Free Cancellation
16 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
26,155 posts
2,206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intramuros

No the area is fine. I didn't find it dodgy at all.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
5,380 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intramuros

Safe enough in Intramuros, lovely to stroll around and dine in one of the restaurants there. Been there many times and never had a problem.

Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
3,074 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,403 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Intramuros

Nope - feels nice. exp. near white knight hotel and san agustin church area. cobbled streets, horse carts.

A few touts / pedibike try to canvass their ware - easy to ignore if not interested. Though I much enjoyed the pedibike guided tour!

Also recommended - food at the bishops restaurant opp san agustin church, white knight's electric chariot tour, carlos celdrans walk this way tour.

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,298 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Intramuros

Does this area feel a bit dodgy?

---------------------------------------

I have been to Intramuros multiple times since 1994.

It is nothing like a big city at all. It is the original site of Spanish occupation in Manila which is walled off from the rest of Manila. It does have multiple entrances in the walls though.

In some of the streets, you will be the only person.

I have never felt unsafe in any way.

The biggest problem you will have is annoying Calesa drivers insisting that you ride with them.

If you are still not convinced, do the walk this way tour with Carlos Celdran

https://carlosceldranwalks.wordpress.com/

Edited: December 01, 2017, 4:36 pm
Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
3,074 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Intramuros

Lovely place to visit. Avoid Calesas- they are overpriced.

Carlos Celdran is a must!

https:/…tour-dates-tour-rates.html

https://carlosceldranwalks.wordpress.com/

Edited: December 02, 2017, 2:44 pm
Quezon City...
Level Contributor
325 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Intramuros

there are eTrikes now that can tour you around the 'must see' sites of intramuros.

but keep in mind that the place has a lot of offices and schools. hence on a weekday morning, there will be alot of office workers and students.

a few important government offices are inside as well - Internal Revenue Agency (BIR) and Immigration.

plus there are a good number of squatters inside (homeless people) but if you go to the tourist specific places such as fort santiago, or manila cathedral, or San Agustin Church, it's gonna be safe for you.

Mentioned in this post
San Agustin Church
San Agustin Church
1,372 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
j n
HKG
Level Contributor
219 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Intramuros

Sorry to hijack this thread but could I ask if the atmosphere changes after dark, is there even any reason to stick around late in the area? I've heard things about Intramuros and crime but perhaps I was mistakenly thinking of the area's immediately outside Intramuros like Ermita, which is where I am currently planning on finding accommodation for a trip in January.

Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
3,074 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Metro Manila...
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,848 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Intramuros

Unless you will dine in one of the restaurants in Intramuros, you will find the area to be boring. There's no worthwhile place to visit if your stomach is already full. To be fair, Intramuros has some of the best restaurants in Manila.

Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
3,074 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Quezon City...
Level Contributor
325 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Intramuros

outside intramuros is the Pier Area. it is dark outside intramuros' gates with lots of passing vehicles and trailer trucks. so don't go there on foot.

inside intramuros, when night falls, it becomes quiet as it houses mainly offices and schools and government services, the bulk of the population has gone home. apart from the squatters that are left.

there are no bars or night life inside. i honestly think they should develop the place like clarke quay with bars and restaurants that can cater the tourists.. etc

Edited: December 06, 2017, 7:06 pm
essex
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Intramuros

we are staying within these walls for two nights at the end of our trip, could any close by areas to explore other that Intramuros be suggested please? What is outside the walls and close by? Sounds like little of interest

Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
3,074 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Reply to: Intramuros
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted