We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pocket wifi for rent at Manila airport

1 post
Save Topic
Pocket wifi for rent at Manila airport

Hi, im going to visit Philippines for 10 days, I want to know where i can rent pocket wifi at the airport or buy pre-paid sim card? i need just for data.

thanks

12 replies to this topic
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pocket wifi for rent at Manila airport

buy a globe tattoo 4g for around 1100 pesos and get a sim card plus data plan and ask the staff to set up a data plan - go on the globe website for their data packages.

OR

I am sure you can rent one for i would guess around 8000 to 14000 pesos for your 11 days

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,539 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pocket wifi for rent at Manila airport

Renting is not a good idea when you can buy for a fraction of the cost.

Northam, Western...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pocket wifi for rent at Manila airport

If you have a smart phone just get a local sim. I found the pocket wifi to be pretty much useless, in Mindanao anyway. Signal may be better in Manila.

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
284 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pocket wifi for rent at Manila airport

pocket wifi's signal should be the same as anywhere because it is carrier dependent.

anyway a brand new pocket wifi is only 999 pesos each. sim card is free for foreign travellers.. all you have to do is buy the phone credits which isnot that expensive.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pocket wifi for rent at Manila airport

I was doing research on using an app to get a taxi at Manila International airport and wanted to see if I can get a taxi with the app and free Wifi. However I discovered that there is a Free SIM card promotion by Globe and all you do is visit the booth in arrivals area and they will give you the SIM card. This will allow me to use the mobile internet for my stay. Hooray.

So I am going to give it a try.

TravelSurf allows tourists to use mobile internet for the duration of their stay in the Philippines using their Traveller SIM.

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
284 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pocket wifi for rent at Manila airport

yeah. sim cards are given away for free for all carrier. just go t their counter and ask for a sim card. you just have to buy the credits.

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pocket wifi for rent at Manila airport

I use a Globe sim card purchased from the Globe/ProGear counter at T3 for 995php which allows for 8GB data per month anywhere in Philippines. They will fit it into your own pocket wifi and activate for you on the spot.

I now top up each month when I visit the Philippines in multiples of 500php for 4GB or 900php for 8GB Top up or load as the locals term. The load can be purchased either on line via Credit card or from a local barangay store. I can recommend the signal strength which I found far superior then the previous version of Globe Tattoo data sim card which lacked performance and I believe now discontinued.

FYI as far as North Luzon is concerned Globe is the most popular telco and strongest signal strength.

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pocket wifi for rent at Manila airport

Araluen GOSURF50 gives you 3Gb for 3 days for 50 peos if you use it up before expiring you jut reload another one.

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pocket wifi for rent at Manila airport

Mine is a GOSURF 999 ( 8gb) as I am in Philippines for 2 weeks in every month and I use lots of data in the course of my work and lessens the need to reload so often.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pocket wifi for rent at Manila airport

We are visiting the Philippines in late January. Although we are on a private tour visiting North Luzon, Cebu, Bohol and Palawan we would like to get a local sim to help in case of emergencies.

was interested to read about free sim for visitor however we are having difficulty finding out the cost of texts calls etc. on Globe website and what plan would be the most suitable.

Could any one help with information regarding cost of use in Ph, along with calls/text to UK for the duration of our 2 week trip

Thanks

Reply to: Pocket wifi for rent at Manila airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted