We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria tablets for the area needed or insect spray ok?

County Dublin...
2 posts
Save Topic
Malaria tablets for the area needed or insect spray ok?

Hi!

First post , I will be traveling to Philippines for 3 months shortly. I will be spending three days in Makati then off to Paniqui , Tarlac province for the rest of my holiday wondering if its ok just to use mosquito spray or tablets required for the area.

Thank you

Eoin

8 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,100 posts
1,961 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria tablets for the area needed or insect spray ok?

I would just ensure you cover yourself with mosquitto lotion (especially at dawn and dusk) The trouble with tablets is it only protects you bagainst Malaria not Dengue Fever which is more of a risk. I gave up using malaria Tablets years ago and its only necessary for the rural and remote areas.

Tommo

County Dublin...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria tablets for the area needed or insect spray ok?

Ah ok thank you for your reply. Malaria tablets give me bad side effects anyway. I'll just apply a strong insect repellent.

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria tablets for the area needed or insect spray ok?

At dusk, make sure you cover up with long sleeves and trousers and don't wear sandals because that is when Dengue Mosquitoes are most active.

4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria tablets for the area needed or insect spray ok?

mosquito , spray or cream fine , make sure its got DEET , in it or waste of time , they have DEET , loaded cream ,

4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria tablets for the area needed or insect spray ok?

depends , only in rural areas , below 600m, n islands of Basilan,Luzon,Mindanao,Palawan, Sulu,(jolo) , & Tawi-Tawi , Urban areas ok , personally i'd always use insect spray , Dengue etc ,

4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria tablets for the area needed or insect spray ok?

and always remember , its only female mosquitoes that bite , Always used product with DEET, in it as active ingredient , (lol , about female mosquitoes , but its true) ,

4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria tablets for the area needed or insect spray ok?

Malaria not common , yet due to its Devastating effects , I always use doxycycline hydrochloride , known as doxylin in australia 2 days before and 7 days after getting back

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria tablets for the area needed or insect spray ok?

Much of the Philippines is malaria free, in the areas where it exists at all the incidence rate is 0.1 case per thousand population.

Reply to: Malaria tablets for the area needed or insect spray ok?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted