We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach island off Sabah?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Best beach island off Sabah?
Save

Hi

I'd like to stay on an idylic island off Sabah that has a beach and clear water. I'v only been scuba diving once before so not experienced, and would probably prefer to go snorkelling anyway. Most of the islands seem to be set up for scuba diving and not a beach location. Please can anyone recomend a beautiful island off Sabah? I'd be staying there 2 or 3 nights.

Thanks

Miri

Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
105 reviews
89 helpful votes
1. Re: Best beach island off Sabah?
Save

Hi Miri,

Check out Lankayan Island Resort, absolutely lovely for snorkeler.

Cuneo, Italy
Level Contributor
12,048 posts
38 reviews
24 helpful votes
2. Re: Best beach island off Sabah?
Save

Best island in my opinion with your criteria is Mataking, maybe too long travel for only 2 or 3 days, so as Sabah_Girl says Lankayan could be the perfect choice

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Best beach island off Sabah?
Save

Piggybacking with a similar question -are any of the islands off KK worth a visit? We have a clear day in KK and would like to do an island trip - I'm not the best sailor in the world, but will take antisickness meds to get on a boat if there are islands worth seeing! We aren't scuba divers, so just a nice beach is all we really need.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Best beach island off Sabah?
Save

Thanks guys. Lankayan does look amazing! The price looks about 500pounds per person for 3 days. Just out of interest, There is a place in mantanini islands off kk that is a lot cheaper, is that island at all comparible?

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Best beach island off Sabah?
Save

there are also island just off KK - Sapi, Mamutik and Manukan (Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks). For a slightly more exclusive stay, there is the Gayana Eco Resort and Gaya Island Resort by YTL. - 15 min boat ride from Kota Kinabalu city center

Mantanani Island has beautiful white sandy beaches - 45min drive from kota kinabalu, 45 min boat ride from Kota Belud village jetty

Pulau Tiga Survivor Island - 1 1/2 hour drive from Kota Kinabalu, 30 min boat ride from Kuala Penyu jetty

Edited: 6 years ago
6. Re: Best beach island off Sabah?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: July 16, 2015, 12:15 pm
Get answers to your questions about Sabah
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.