We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it still safe in fukushima after incident?

Sarawak, Malaysia
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
is it still safe in fukushima after incident?

i'm planning a trip to japan and i'm interested to go the north of japan, probably drop by fukushima, is it still safe over there? has the radiation level drop in fukushima?

8 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
966 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it still safe in fukushima after incident?

I don't have the reading but I had visited the places twice for the pass years including the recent one on May2017. It was the town that I visited. If u are concerned then avoid the area ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it still safe in fukushima after incident?

You can visit Fukushima perfectly safely, radiation dosage on your flight will be higher. You are not able to go to the power plant.

Mentioned in this post
Fukushima
Fukushima
Fukushima Prefecture, Japan
Japan
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it still safe in fukushima after incident?

Initial reaction - is there a recent incident? One six years ago, yes, but nothing particularly new. Plus the A-bombs were in Nevada, the Pacific and further south in Japan.

The radiation level is lower than many other places in the world. I actually saw a nice graphic showing current radiation is around the same levels as pre-Great Eastern Earthquake. aquamarine.or.jp/english/…5540-D.jpg

Mentioned in this post
Sarawak, Malaysia
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it still safe in fukushima after incident?

thanks everyone! thats good to hear!

Save Reply
5. Re: is it still safe in fukushima after incident?

Currently the thing you would need to be concerned about would be contamination that is in the soil. Some of this includes insoluble radioactive materials that can lodge in lungs and the body can't expel them. Areas that received more fallout would be of more risk. Activities that would involve being in situations that kick up dirt or if things are dry and windy increase that risk.

Being in the city in Tokyo would be a fairly low risk activity. Being in the forests in coastal Fukushima digging in the dirt would be an ill advised activity.

Most of the food contamination at this point is very specific to places and certain foods. Most of those that remain highly contaminated are still banned from sale.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Fukushima
Fukushima
Fukushima Prefecture, Japan
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,134 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is it still safe in fukushima after incident?

Keep in mind that Fukushima prefecture is a large area, and the Shinkansen tracks are far from the reactor. Hiraizumi, Kakunodate, and Matsushima are worth visiting, and foreign tourists are particularly welcomed north of Tokyo.

Mentioned in this post
Hiraizumi-cho
Hiraizumi-cho
Nishiiwai-gun, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
7. Re: is it still safe in fukushima after incident?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: December 12, 2017, 4:25 am
Edited: December 12, 2017, 4:25 am

8. Re: is it still safe in fukushima after incident?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: January 04, 2018, 1:22 am

Reply to: is it still safe in fukushima after incident?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fukushima