We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Fukushima safe for travellers right now?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is Fukushima safe for travellers right now?

Hello everyone, I'm not really updated with Fuskushima's radiation level, my apologies for that. I do hope you can help me figure out if I should still go to Licca-chan Castle in Fukushima which is located here:

51-3 Ononimachi , Tamura-Gun, Ono-machi 963-3401 , Fukushima Prefecture

Thank you in advance!

8 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Fukushima safe for travellers right now?

See http://www.jnto.go.jp/eq/eng/04_recovery.htm

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Fukushima safe for travellers right now?

Yes, it's quite far apart from the seriously affected areas along the coast around Namie, Futaba, Okuma which are still no entry zone.

Since 2011, I have traveled several times across Fukushima Prefecture. This year I have enjoyed the views of Hanamiyama in Fukushima City, which is one of the most beautiful cherry blossom spots in Japan, as well as that from top of the impressive Nihonmatsu Castle ruins. People in Fukushima suffered psychologically, but apart from those unfortunate people who had to be hurriedly evacuated from hospitals in critical conditions, zero person died. No resident is confirmed dead because of radiation exposure, and none is expected to die, because the actual radiation dose was too low, as the UNSCEAR and WHO reports say.

Of course, long term effects are being monitored, but you as a temporary visitor would be just fine.

Edited: November 24, 2015, 6:36 pm
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Fukushima safe for travellers right now?

>>3. Health implications

38. No radiation-related deaths or acute diseases have been observed among the workers and general public exposed to radiation from the accident.

39. The doses to the general public, both those incurred during the first year and estimated for their lifetimes, are generally low or very low. No discernible increased incidence of radiation-related health effects are expected among exposed members of the public or their descendants. The most important health effect is on mental and social well-being, related to the enormous impact of the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear accident, and the fear and stigma related to the perceived risk of exposure to ionizing radiation. Effects such as depression and post-traumatic stress symptoms have already been reported. Estimation of the occurrence and severity of such health effects are outside the Committee’s remit.

40. For adults in Fukushima Prefecture, the Committee estimates average lifetime effective doses to be of the order of 10 mSv or less, and first-year doses to be one third to one half of that. While risk models by inference suggest increased cancer risk, cancers induced by radiation are indistinguishable at present from other cancers. Thus, a discernible increase in cancer incidence in this population that could be attributed to radiation exposure from the accident is not expected.<<

unscear.org/docs/reports/2013/13-85418_Repor…

See also the latest White Paper of UNSCEAR, which says practically the same thing about health:

unscear.org/docs/…Fukushima_WP2015_web_en.pdf

Edited: November 24, 2015, 6:50 pm
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Fukushima safe for travellers right now?

Thank you Yobeekool and Bargainhunter! Now I can proceed with my plans :D

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Fukushima safe for travellers right now?

Regarding cherry blossoms, do they bloom in Fukushima around March? I'm hoping so. Thanks again!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Fukushima safe for travellers right now?

It's around mid- to late- April. Please browse Youtube for "Hanamiyama" or "Tsurugajo Castle" or "Miharu".

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Fukushima safe for travellers right now?

if that's the case, my only hope then will be the kansai area. i hope spring will arive sooner in march. nonetheless thanks for the info.

8. Re: Is Fukushima safe for travellers right now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: January 04, 2018, 1:22 am

Reply to: Is Fukushima safe for travellers right now?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fukushima Prefecture