We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

J R Pass for Tokyo - Kyoto - Hakuba - Tokyo

Ipswich, Australia
4 posts
J R Pass for Tokyo - Kyoto - Hakuba - Tokyo

I am so confused whether a JR pass is worth it or not. We are in Japan for 12 days and travelling Tokyo (4 nights)- Kyoto (4 nights)- Hakuba (3 nights) and back to Tokyo for flight home. It is possible we will do a day trip from Kyoto to Nara and plan to go to Osaka from Kyoto as well.

Should i buy a 7 day pass and just pay for the bus fare from Hakuba to Narita or do i just pay for all fares?

4 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,961 posts
1. Re: J R Pass for Tokyo - Kyoto - Hakuba - Tokyo

when you validate 7 day JR Pass upon departure for Kyoto, you must rerurn back to Tokyo or NRT while the pass is still active. if that is not possible, individual ticket is cheaper than rail pass

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,857 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: J R Pass for Tokyo - Kyoto - Hakuba - Tokyo

The 7 day pass won't pay off with your itinerary even if you take day trips to Nara and Osaka from Kyoto.

Ipswich, Australia
4 posts
3. Re: J R Pass for Tokyo - Kyoto - Hakuba - Tokyo

Thank you for both comments - so you think if i work it so that I activated a 7 day pass on day 5 of my trip( travel day from Tokyo to Kyoto) and used it for that trip plus Kyoto to Hakuba & Hakuba back to Narita it could actually be worthwhile?

Edited: August 21, 2018, 2:23 pm
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
57,827 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: J R Pass for Tokyo - Kyoto - Hakuba - Tokyo

www.japan-guide.com/railpass = rail pass calculator.

Reply to: J R Pass for Tokyo - Kyoto - Hakuba - Tokyo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted