We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving a rental Car on Jeju Island

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving a rental Car on Jeju Island

Hi, I'd like some ideas from the forum. My wife and I will be visiting S. Korea this Fall and will spend three nights on Jeju Island. I am considering renting a car to drive around including to and from Airport since we plan to stay at the Hyatt in Seogwipo. How is the driving condition like on the island for someone read or speak no Korean? Of course we would have to have a GPS. Thank you in advance for your help. Oceandoc.

Mentioned in this post
Jeju Island
Jeju Island
South Korea
Seogwipo
Seogwipo
Jeju Island, South Korea
41 replies to this topic
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
230 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Driving a rental Car on Jeju Island

My husband and I also rented a car when we spent four days at the Hyatt. I would recommend the car rental as things can be far apart. Unlike Seoul, the traffic is not bad on the Hyatt side of the Island. We did not spend time at the Harbor side.

ETA: I see this is an old thread, sorry. Our trip was in 2001. Also, I believe we used the travel agent on base to reserve our rental car and the hotel. We did not want to do the tour offered by the military base as it was a stay on the Harbor side and we didn't want to be stuck in a tour group. It was actually our honeymoon trip over Memorial Day weekend. :) We had a great time. My husband left some clothing hanging in the closet and the Hyatt contacted us and mailed the items to us.

The only thing I would say is there is not a lot of food options on that side of the Island, unlike the Harbor side. Again, this was in 2001 so things may have changed. We had no trouble driving around with just a paper map.

Edited: April 27, 2018, 3:13 am
Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Reply to: Driving a rental Car on Jeju Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted