We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving a rental Car on Jeju Island

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Driving a rental Car on Jeju Island

Hi, I'd like some ideas from the forum. My wife and I will be visiting S. Korea this Fall and will spend three nights on Jeju Island. I am considering renting a car to drive around including to and from Airport since we plan to stay at the Hyatt in Seogwipo. How is the driving condition like on the island for someone read or speak no Korean? Of course we would have to have a GPS. Thank you in advance for your help. Oceandoc.

41 replies to this topic
Guri, South Korea
Level Contributor
115 posts
2,326 reviews
1. Re: Driving a rental Car on Jeju Island

http://www.ktkumhorent.com/eng/main.do

This website was reliable company..

South Korea
Destination Expert
for South Korea
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
1 review
2. Re: Driving a rental Car on Jeju Island

Another way is that you can rent a car at your Hyatt hotel, so take a limousine bus between Airport and Hyatt hotel, the limo bus stops at your hotel. and you can use Korean navigation in car by searching phone number of tourist attractions.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
3. Re: Driving a rental Car on Jeju Island

Thanks for the reply. I just want to be sure the Jeju is a right-sided driving country. Am I correct on that? I would like to stop and go as I wish and to go to as many different places, say round the island, as possible. It is easier to achieve that by having a car.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
4. Re: Driving a rental Car on Jeju Island

i am going to check this site out. Thanks.

South Korea
Destination Expert
for South Korea
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
1 review
5. Re: Driving a rental Car on Jeju Island

Yes, Korea is a right-sided driving country.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Driving a rental Car on Jeju Island

Hi. I went to Jeju last summer and have done self-drive sightseeing.

>How is the driving condition like on the island for someone read or speak no Korean?

Signs are written in English as well. It's pretty easy to drive around; I felt the condition is similar as I drive in the US not-big cities. Car parks at tourist spots, restaurants, super markets are free of charge. The difference was that I didn't see street parkings so much and police cars were not everywhere.

You will get a map & coupon book (for tourist spots and restaurant) from car rental company. Beside, I recommend that you will get a English map from Tourist Bureau at Jeju International Airport.

Jeju Government Tourism official website

www.hijeju.or.kr/english/jejuinfo/jeju.html

I got to check about driving from Frommer's Guidebook website; they have good detailed info about everything.

frommers.com/destinations/…4033010002.html

I think that big hotel like Hyatt has a partnered rental company; and their guests can get a discount and have good service.

Is your hotel have free shuttle to/from airport? I found that car rentals in Jeju are not 24hr basis: it runs shorter after 24 hours, like 6 hrs, 12 hrs. I picked-up and returned the car at hotel; and rode a hotel shuttle. This thing could be the saving time & money; also stress-free when I went back to the airport on the last day.

Edited: June 29, 2013, 11:34 pm
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
7. Re: Driving a rental Car on Jeju Island

Thanks a lot for your help. Did you use a GPS for your trip to Jeju? Any suggestions as regard to a good GPS for Jeju island speaking English?

I may try the rental from the hotel and take the shuttle bus from airport to hotel.

singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Driving a rental Car on Jeju Island

You have to specify that you need a English GPS during your online reservation. You will have to take the shuttle service to the car rental office from the airport and visit the nearby attractions before you proceed to Hyatt regency which located at the south.

Singapore
2 posts
1 review
9. Re: Driving a rental Car on Jeju Island

Just in case you misinterpreted, the meaning of an English version GPS is that the voice guidance is in English. The characters on the GPS still appear in Korean. You will need the help of the car rental agency staff to help configure it for English voice guidance when you first get the car, else you will be quite helpless trying to navigate the GPS functions in korean yourself. Also get him to demonstrate step by step how to search your destination sites using telephone numbers. In some cases, the telephone number can be outdated, you may need to sought help from a Korean to enter the search using the name of the destination in korean. Driving outskirt of Jeju is easy but driving in the city can be a challenge, especially if your car is big. The car park lots are small but they are free parking in Jeju island.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Driving a rental Car on Jeju Island

Should be Left-sided.

Reply to: Driving a rental Car on Jeju Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted