We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Varanasi tour

sydney
Level Contributor
26 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Varanasi tour

Hello,

I am heading to India in October and am particularly looking forward to visiting Varanasi. I am extremely interested in the spiritual and religious rituals in Varanasi and have been reading about all the touring options available. I would like to ask for advice please. It seems that the best options are to go on a boat to have the best vantage point for both the early morning and night time religious ceremonies and I see that there are numerous ghats which you can visit. Does anyone have any particular suggestions for the best options? Many thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Varanasi
Varanasi
Varanasi District, India
4 replies to this topic
Pune, India
Level Contributor
38 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Varanasi tour

Boats are available at "Assi Ghat". You can take boat ride in evening where you can see rituals on different ghats and also sight the spectacular Ganga Aarti.

Mentioned in this post
Assi Ghat
Assi Ghat
1,003 Reviews
Varanasi, India
Varanasi, India
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Varanasi tour

Yes, you are correct. Boating in river Ganges at the time of dawn and evening is best way to explore Varanasi.

Apart from these two, you can explore Varanasi by doing some follows activities -

1) Walking tour into old lanes of Varanasi.

2) Visit to cremation ground to know the logic behind burning of dead bodies and for seeing cremation ritauls

3] Sarnath tour - A place where lord Budhha gave his first sermon

4] Visit to Death Hostel or Salvation house.

Make sure, you take help of any local tour operator to experience all these as alone and on your own this will be difficult to navigate.

Have pleasent time ahead.

Mentioned in this post
Varanasi
Varanasi
Varanasi District, India
Sarnath
Sarnath
2,421 Reviews
Varanasi, India
Level Contributor
417 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Varanasi tour

Boats are available on Assi Ghat as mentioned in above post and you can experience Ganga Arti from the boat late evening (worth visiting Arti).

Regards

M_OEHAGRA

Mentioned in this post
Assi Ghat
Assi Ghat
1,003 Reviews
Varanasi, India
Bhopal, India
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Varanasi tour

It is correct that Morning & Evening boat rides should be done. Morning boatride will help us to witness sunrise and morning worship on ghats. Evening boatride is particularly good to see Ganga-arti which is a popular event. It can best photographed from boat. Here cremation ghat is Manikarnika ghat. In order to visit this place, assistance of local guide is recommended to understand the rituals in correct way and to know the basic rules to be followed during such sensitive matters.

Mentioned in this post
Manikarnika Ghat
Manikarnika Ghat
942 Reviews
Varanasi, India
Reply to: Varanasi tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Varanasi