We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many percent down materials and feathers? Other tips?

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
31 posts
How many percent down materials and feathers? Other tips?
Save

Hi

wondering how many percent down materials and feathers jacket we should get for a trip to Harbin in the first week of Jan next year?

I saw a lot of down jackets. .usually 90% down and 10% feathers.. and some 80% down and 20% feathers.. which is better?

I saw some very light, thin materials with 80% down and 10% feathers at Uniqlo in Singapore. .are those enough?

Noted that we need also some fleece and long johns inside..

any other tips please? thanks much!

Austin, Canada
Level Contributor
51,836 posts
889 reviews
527 helpful votes
1. Re: How many percent down materials and feathers? Other tips?
Save

The key things to protect are your extremities so you need warm gloves, socks and shoes. Most of the warmth is also lost at the head so have a good hat.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
28,414 posts
30 reviews
56 helpful votes
2. Re: How many percent down materials and feathers? Other tips?
Save

Higher percentage of down, the better. However looking at this percentage alone is not enough. If it's a very light weight 90% jacket (like one I bought in Japan), it's good only to ~ zero celsius, for me. For you (and most people from SE Asia who never lived under cold climates), probably 10 - 15 celsius.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi, Kanchanaburi Province
Level Contributor
25,941 posts
43 reviews
41 helpful votes
3. Re: How many percent down materials and feathers? Other tips?
Save

I'm heading that way at the end of December and if you don't have all what you need, or you need more, it's certainly possible to buy it there in Harbin.

bibimbob, thanks for the information you gave above.

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
31 posts
4. Re: How many percent down materials and feathers? Other tips?
Save

thanks all, for the tips.. just worried we might not be able to withstand the cold.. at where we are, it's +30 degrees.. . and not minus..

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi, Kanchanaburi Province
Level Contributor
25,941 posts
43 reviews
41 helpful votes
5. Re: How many percent down materials and feathers? Other tips?
Save

And the same goes for me too !

Level Contributor
18 posts
6. Re: How many percent down materials and feathers? Other tips?
Save

Hi angel

Me from sunny singapore too! Intend to go harbin via Beijing in feb. are you travelling free and easy? If yes, can pm me to explore our itinerary together?

I doubt the thin down jackets from uniquolo would suffice as someone before had mentioned, we stay in sunny singapore.. But if you layer a thermal + fleece+ sweater + that thin jacket, it may be ok. And if it gets too cold, buy in harbin central street before you venture further into the night. It's def cheaper than in singapore. That was also recommended by someone in the forum.

Warm socks and additional insoles for your boots will help.

Gloves - I have an issue with them as I find thick ones not convenient esp when u want to use the cameras. I am thinking to just wear a normal knitted version and stuff them into my pockets if it gets too cold. Those disposable heat packs sold in winter time might be useful too. My mum stuff those into her pants pockets when she went Korea in dec.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
305 reviews
194 helpful votes
7. Re: How many percent down materials and feathers? Other tips?
Save

We just arrived back from Yunnan and it was below freezing in Shangri-la. We aren't used to cold temperatures either but our clothes were very good. Admittedly we didn't have winter temperatures i.e. well below freezing. We had light weight goose down jackets, lighter and warmer (and more expensive) than duck down. Mine has a hood which was totally warm. We also had Merino thermals and I had an additional Patagonia synthetic thermal top and wool socks. I needed to wrap a scarf around my face when we were walking in the national park. I kept losing one glove because of photography. Chengdu had plenty of good quality and international brand outdoor wear so I'm sure Harbin would too but we took ours with us.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
31,236 posts
49 reviews
17 helpful votes
8. Re: How many percent down materials and feathers? Other tips?
Save

It's not the percentage of feather to down that counts, it's how much down (by weight) that counts. Of course the more down the better, in general. But you won't be able to buy warm enough clothes from Sing to Harbin in Feb. You can buy or rent much warmer clothes in Harbin. You definitely need very warm gloves, woolen hats, thermal underwear, woolen socks (maybe a couple of pairs), and good warm boots.

Austin, Canada
Level Contributor
51,836 posts
889 reviews
527 helpful votes
9. Re: How many percent down materials and feathers? Other tips?
Save

As a Canadian ans skier who spends all day outdoors in Harbin-like temperatures let me warn you that wearing two pairs of socks is generally a bad idea as it is likely to make your feet freeze.

Firstly, two pairs of thick socks will make you shoes very tight reducing your blood circulation which one sure way to freeze your toes and feet.

Secondly, whenever you are indoors either to lunch or in the morning before you go out, your feet will sweat. Sweat will then make you freeze. We normally sove the sweating issue that wearing underwear and socks that absorb the humidity and keep the body dry.

Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
12 helpful votes
10. Re: How many percent down materials and feathers? Other tips?
Save

Hey i am from Singapore as well

we should get together and check the itinerary

i will be in Harbin around 2Jan till 6Jan

transfering from Beijing

my layering should be

thermal wear - uniqlo (Heatech)

then a pullover sweater - havent find yet

then a thin puffer jacket - uniqlo super lite down jacket SGD99

then a super thick down parka - loan from my fren

bottom will be

thermal wear - uniqlo (Heatech)

antiwind jeans - uniqlo

think ski pants -loan from my fren

apparently my fren said.. when u in Beijing u can get it there.. cheaper than getting it in SG

socks will be wool and water proof boots

Get answers to your questions about Harbin
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.