We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIRAK Buntham bus company

Alicante, Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
VIRAK Buntham bus company

If you are thinking about about traveling from Siem Reap to Vietnam by bus, DO NOT use the VIRAK Buntham bus company!!! They claim to have the only "sleeper bus" that goes directly from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Mihn City and takes 12-13 hours. And that's where the lies start. You in fact have to change buses in Phnom Penh at about 2:30am (this after having been going since 7:30pm) and the total journey time is more like 17 hours.

Outside each location where they sell these bus tickets are signs touting how this sleeper bus has free wi fi, "long beds" and toilets on board. The wi fi is free because there is none (minor point). The beds might be long for infants but for everyone else they are so short, with metal bars on both ends, that the only possibilities for laying there are the types of stress positions which would make Dick Cheney proud. The beds are positioned close to the roof so that sitting up is also not an option. And those toilets? As the Driver had to tell many people, "No have". With stops only every 4 hours, it made for a long, dry and extremely uncomfortable trip.

If you plan on heading this way or have friends that are, tell them to make different arrangements, even if they are more expensive or take more time. We wish we had...

13 replies to this topic
Save Reply
11. Re: VIRAK Buntham bus company

Hin did you take the bus or did you opt to fly?

Paris, France
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: VIRAK Buntham bus company

WARNING to those who value their life ! Be aware that Virak Buntham drivers don't necessarily do.

I've recently ridden Virak Buntham buses three times between Phnom Penh and Siemreap. Drivers drove unsafely fast, sometimes overtaking without visibility or driving unreasonably close to the preceding vehicle.

Moreover, they repeatedly spent long periods on the phone. Research has found that a driver engaged in a phone conversation has the same reflexes as a drunk person - even if using a hand-free phone kit. What if this driver not only talks, but drives with only one hand because the other one is busy holding the phone ?

This afternoon I adviced the driver it was unsafe to make phone calls while driving. He replied abruptly that if he did not talk, he would sleep. Conversation ended here, and the driver continued making phone calls.

I now take more seriously friends' warnings about this company, which led me to search "Virak Buntham crash" and "Virak Buntham overturn" on the web: too many results...

I appreciate the comfort of their buses, but do not wish to entrust my life to a person who is sleepy, incautious and careless. I will turn to another bus company with more professional drivers, even if the trip between Phnom Penh and Siemreap takes 30 minutes more.

Edited: February 09, 2018, 10:51 pm
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: VIRAK Buntham bus company

From my experience, all bus/van/taxi drivers, both in Cambodia and Vietnam are constantly on the phone, and it rarely is the hands-free variety.So are car and motorcycle drivers , they can even read and write text messages while speeding on the right as well as the wrong side of the road.

They wear Buddhist amulets , blessed by revered monks, that guarantee a safe journey.

It is truly amazing.

Reply to: VIRAK Buntham bus company
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted