We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NGO in Siem reap

1 post
Save Topic
NGO in Siem reap

I am looking for a trustworthy NGO in siem reap as i would like to do some volunteering during my holidays. I have consulted some NGO's websites, but later on i found out that there was a price to volunteer so i thought they were more into ''voluntourism'' which is something i strongly stand against.

So please, let me know if you have any good NGO in mind, that could be concerning art, education or health!

4 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,213 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NGO in Siem reap

Hello Audrey L

Please advise your particular qualifications/experience that you propose to "volunteer" and are these skills that are not possessed by any Cambodian?

What are your Khmer language skills? Or will you need to be "nurse maided" by a Cambodian?

And for how long do you propose to volunteer for - Days - weeks or several months?

And, if proposing to work with children, do you hold a current Working With Children clearance from your home country?

All are questions that need to be addressed by any potential volunteer.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,094 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NGO in Siem reap

what skills/qualifications do you have? you mention education & health but do you have skills to transfer (can you 'teach' these skills to locals who may need them) or qualifications in these areas? how long do you have to 'give'?

Level Contributor
1,777 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NGO in Siem reap

If you are a genuine volunteer, you would already know where and how to volunteer. If you have no idea, then you are not a volunteer. This forum is for tourists.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
21,154 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NGO in Siem reap

If you do ultimately decide to proceed, you also need to ensure that you will not be replacing a local person who would be being paid for their work.

Reply to: NGO in Siem reap
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Siem Reap