We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

We arrive from Vietnam by airplane and will spend two and half days in Siem Reap, then a bus or boat to Battambang for three and half days, then a bus to Phnom Phen. I'm not convinced the boat will be a good idea the third week of March as it seems the water levels will be low. Would you agree?

Either way, via boat or bus, Is that too much travel time between towns for quick visits? Should I just skip Battambang and extend the stay in Siem Reap? We are taking a month long journey and I'm starting to second guess myself so any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Battambang
Battambang
Battambang Province, Cambodia
18 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

dawn2011, for bus schedules, you can check out bookmebus.com . It shows you how many seats are still available on a particular bus and route so it can be helpful if you are getting close to the departure date and want to make sure you get a seat. From what I understand, the boat tickets are always available, whether the boat can actually make the journey or not. I've seen threads where people discuss having to get out of the boat and take a truck for the final few hours journey. I have no first hand knowledge on the matter, but what i read made me seriously reconsider doing the boat trip in March. Other times of the year may be better. You can check weather websites for rainfalls over the past weeks, months, etc.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
22,358 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

Hi again Michelle

If your main reason for visiting Battambang was to ride on the bamboo train, you most probably would be disappointed. It seems that presently it is not running due to a dispute about ownership of a stretch of land through which it travels. Hopefully that can be resolved quite quickly.

Mentioned in this post
Battambang
Battambang
Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

its running but now its like a tourist attraction and has been relocated cause the real tracks are being repaired so they can get the PP-Batt section done. Some old guy that fell off an got a cut on his elbow. seems the wheels fell of the train...:LOL

"Battambang: A tourist in a group of 5 people was injured on his elbow by falling off the bamboo train at 3 pm on February 24, near Banon Temple in Battambang.

Police said that a group of 5 tourists was riding the bamboo train which was going fast, and in the middle of the journey, the wheel slipped out of the train cause the a tourist man fail out of the train, get injured on his elbow.

On February 25, the District governor Chum Hnor rejected the accident causing from the bamboo train. He said that before the incident the tourist man was enjoyed the train forgetting to hold himself and when the driver speed off the train cause the man fail out of the train.

so there was not officially determinate yet for the accident causing. "

https:/…post228037.html

Edited: March 07, 2018, 6:26 pm
Mentioned in this post
Battambang
Battambang
Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

The bamboo train was running yesterday, 06/03/18.

The cook and I went out for a look, we couldn't be bothered taking a norri down the line and back. We left with a couple of photographs and a blue, pink with red polkadot unicorn for the granddaughter. You don't know how hard it is to find one of thoes things.

Have fun

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

To add, a week or so earlier, while we were in Kampot, I listened to the local expat radio announcer tell of a farmer in Battambang. He had parked his car across the tracks of the bamboo train. Apparently he believed that part of the land the lines were on was his.

Have fun

Mentioned in this post
Kampot
Kampot
Kampot Province, Cambodia
Battambang
Battambang
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
22,358 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

Yes Inaspin. That’s the issue I was referring to. Good that it’s been resolved as in the beginning it seemed that it was going to be a long drawn out process.

Oh and by the way, everyone would be envious of your unicorn. Those critters are pretty thin on the ground so i’m told.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

Thank you. I think we will risk it and look to book once we arrive siem reap. Thanks again.

Langhorne...
Level Contributor
306 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

I love Battambang. The Phare Circus, football in the park with the local children, the nearly deserted temple in the center of town...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JbfMOqPGDVQ

Mentioned in this post
Battambang
Battambang
Reply to: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Siem Reap
;