We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

We arrive from Vietnam by airplane and will spend two and half days in Siem Reap, then a bus or boat to Battambang for three and half days, then a bus to Phnom Phen. I'm not convinced the boat will be a good idea the third week of March as it seems the water levels will be low. Would you agree?

Either way, via boat or bus, Is that too much travel time between towns for quick visits? Should I just skip Battambang and extend the stay in Siem Reap? We are taking a month long journey and I'm starting to second guess myself so any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Battambang
Battambang
Battambang Province, Cambodia
18 replies to this topic
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,350 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

I'd certainly allow more time in SR - 2.5 days wont even allow you to see the major temples, let alone anything else like the lake communities or have some down time. Water levels will be at/almost at their lowest so unless you fancy 8-10hrs on a boat I'd go by bus.

I love BB but if you only have 6 days then spend them all in SR. If you can extend the time you have for Cambodia then add any additional days to SR and leave BB with what you have allocated

Mentioned in this post
Vietnam
Level Contributor
739 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

Well, it really does depend on how interested you are in the ancient monuments of Angkor. The archaeological park is enormous and deserves at least three solid days.

Battambang's highlights can be covered in a couple of days.

Suggest more time in Siem Reap, less time in Battambang.

Edited: March 05, 2018, 11:54 am
Mentioned in this post
angkor
angkor
19 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Battambang
Battambang
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

Thank you thmoore for your feedback on the time between the two spots and the water levels. The boat ride would be nice but not for 8-10 hours.

Edited: March 05, 2018, 12:40 pm
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

thanks michael. That's what I was leaning towards. Its nice to have it confirmed. As I mentioned, the planning process can be a bit overwhelming at times. Thank you!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
22,362 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

I think you’d regret cutting your time short in Siem Reap, which you’d be doing by spending only two and a half days there. I also love Battambang but as you seem to only have limited time in Cambodia, you may be est to leave that until the next trip.

Rather than the 5 or 6 hour bus trip from SR to Phonm Penh, you could also consider flying to save time. There are a number of airlines which fly this route andit is very cheap. Have a look at skyscanner for times and prices.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Battambang
Battambang
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,739 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

Fully supportive of that posted by travelkat88

In my opinion/experience, the Siem Reap - Angkor region requires a minimum of five full and clear days to even begin to do it justice.

I, too, love Battambang and spend quite some time there but Siem Reap - Angkor region comes first.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Mentioned in this post
The Siem Reap Hostel
The Siem Reap Hostel
1,203 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
angkor
angkor
19 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Battambang
Battambang
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

Sorry I am jumping on this thread - we will be in Siem Reap and leaving 4th April - we have booked 2 nights accommodation in Battenbang. We were hoping to do the boat crossing - I really don't mind a full 8-10 hours of this as I'm guessing there will be plenty to see (?)

However, what happens if there isn't sufficient water? Am I able to book a day or two in advance or should I try to do this now? I'm also guessing the bus will be available if there isn't enough water for the boat?

Really got our heart set on the bat cave!

Thank you and sorry to interrupt your post. I've been to Siem Reap before for a week and loved it by the way.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

skip Batt,spend more time in SR ( u need at least 4 nights) and take the boat down the Tonle sap to PP ( 6 hours)

Batts not worth the time with ur short schedule. The bat cave at sunset is ok and the lake on a weekend, but not worth the travel time to get there from SR or PP. I lived/worked there for a short time an now only pass thru from PP to Thailand by car..

Mentioned in this post
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

travelkat88, Thank you for your feedback!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?

angkorlad, thsnk you for your feedback! I've left it open ended. I have a generous cancellation policy with the hotel in Battambang and while I already booked bus fare from Bat. to PP, I wont mind eating that cost should we decide to skip that city. The wooden train sounded so fun but it may have to wait for another visit. Many thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Battambang
Battambang
Reply to: Is it worth leaving Siem Reap for Battambang?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Siem Reap