We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with hotel

manchester
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
help with hotel

hi, we're planning a 3-site, 15 night trip from UK, Hong Kong, Phnom Penh and Siem Riep, which we are going to use both for sightseeing but also for R&R as a rest from our busy jobs, rather than spend a day of our trip travelling down to the beach and back to the airport

Am looking for a bit of advice regarding our choice of hotels - there are so many with high reviews we're getting dizzy. So, we'd really like a bit of a resort feel so I don't feel claustrophobic if staying for a couple of full day's reading by the pool, and we get a sense of space and peace for our break. I'd also like to be able to wander to a bit of Cambodian life, for coffee or a dinner, without the necessity of a tuktuk. My OH likes to stay put a little more than I do and I like a little wander to be available.

For our sightseeing trips I'm fine that we'll have easy access to transport wherever we stay.

I can't work out whether staying nearby bar street would be my idea of horror or whether that's what I need to do. We are couple in our 50's if that sways your advice.

would really appreciate some views on suitable hotels, looking to spend $130/room night B&B max, thanks in advance , Caroline

Mentioned in this post
Phum Baitang
Phum Baitang
#24 of 395 hotels in Siem Reap
Lotus Blanc Resort
Lotus Blanc Resort
#36 of 395 hotels in Siem Reap
7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with hotel

Courtyard by Marriott was great! New Hotel and outstanding staff. Not sure of the rate we paid but lovely hotel and again the staff was phenomenal. Ohn in the restaurant and the other sweet girl with braces that works making Cambodian coffee in the front mornings were awesome! Love the people and hotel!

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with hotel

personally I like to stay close to Pub Street (not bar street) as I usually holiday solo like you I like to be able to wander around when I feel like it, and I not found staying around that area is any noisier when in hotel grounds, my next stay is going to be at chhay long hotel, I haven't stayed there yet but it looks good. If you want to be a little further away then I recommend La Niche de Angkor over on the Wat Bo road side of the river, they have a great pool area and everything about the hotel was good, it is a longer walk over to the other side of the river, having said that there are some great restaurants close by to the hotel

Mentioned in this post
Pub Street
Pub Street
7,763 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
angkor
angkor
19 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
manchester
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with hotel

thanks, looks amazing but at 1.5 miles from the centre I'm thinking it might be a bit far out

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with hotel

I'm in mylate sixties and not the fittest of people but found that I could walk into town quite easily (that is from La Niche)

Devon
Level Contributor
597 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with hotel

Hiya

We are here now - around same age as you and are staying at La Rivière de Angkor. It is living up to all its fabulous reviews with a beautiful pool and situated just far enough out that you can still walk to Pub Street - although far better places close to hotel in my opinion.

We are having fab time - any questions give me a shout

Lin

Mentioned in this post
angkor
angkor
19 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Pub Street
Pub Street
7,763 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: help with hotel

Caroline, I'm a travel writer who lives in Siem Reap, so I've stayed in literally hundreds of hotels and have a short list with reviews on my site but I'm not allowed to link to that unfortunately. However, I hear your pain. My readers are frequently overwhelmed by the choice.

The prices vary tremendously depending on the season, so, Raffles and Shinta Mani, for instance, which have the best pools and plenty of space around them, would be well above your budget now as it's high season, but you can get rooms for as low as $150 in low season.

You can get lovely hotels for a lot less of course - Viroths is one of my favourites, but might be hard to get into now as it recently won best hotel in the world. Hillocks Hotel is a little further out, but still only a 5 minute tuk tuk ride to the centre. Rambutan Resort is much closer and even cheaper and very charming, and now they have sleek new apartments adjoining the hotel.

The FCC has a smaller pool but the pool area never seems to be very busy (I prefer the upstairs to the ground floor rooms as they have more light). Natura is a further along the river (in the direction of Angkor) and has a bit of a Navutu feel, but it's still only a 10-minute (less at times) tuk tuk ride to the centre and has some of Siem Reap's best restaurants close by such as Mie Cafe and Mahob Khmer.

Also worth keeping in mind that the best shopping, cafes, restaurants and bars aren't actually in the centre and definitely aren't on or around Pub Street, but are scattered all over town.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Hillocks Hotel & Spa
Hillocks Hotel & Spa
422 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Rambutan Resort - Siem Reap
Rambutan Resort - Siem...
1,204 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Natura Resort
Natura Resort
263 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
angkor
angkor
19 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Mie Cafe
Mie Cafe
1,017 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Pub Street
Pub Street
7,763 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with hotel

Hi, travelling to Siem Reap July, 5 days staying Mulberry Hill, walk to night market/ pub street. There last year for 2 weeks with girlfriends, now taking OH. I was going to stay across river but kept coming back to MH. Also having 5 nights Phnom Penh, staying @ VMansion, great reviews or Kartiki looks nice. Couple in our fifties.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Mulberry Boutique Hotel
Mulberry Boutique Hotel
532 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Reply to: help with hotel