We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dairy allergy

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Dairy allergy

Hello, my son has a dairy allergy and I was wondering if there are any specific dishes that I should be concerned about? I plan on having our hotel write out a card for us but it would be good to know if something usually has dairy (that wouldn’t be obvious to me) in case the waitstaff doesn’t fully understand. Do they cook with butter or is it just oil? We will have EPI Pens on hand. Thank you!!

9 replies to this topic
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,295 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dairy allergy

Cambodia does not have a tradition of using dairy - they have no dairy herd and any fresh milk available is imported. Coconut milk is used where 'milk' is required in a dish and most places would use oil rather than butter (except perhaps some in hotel restaurants). I doubt you will have any problems but its a good plan to get the cards written up by your hotel. Just be aware that the 'general understanding' of allergies (and anaphylaxis in particular) is very poor - its simply not something the local population come into contact with very often. People with nut/fish allergies have a more difficult time than most other allergy sufferers.

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dairy allergy

Thank you so much! I feel better knowing it isn’t used much.

Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dairy allergy

It is basically impossible to get proper milk in a cheap place in Cambodia, so I don't think you need to worry

Mentioned in this post
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,295 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dairy allergy

Jean-Luc - of course you can get 'proper milk' ... its imported daily from NZ and Europe as both fresh and UHT

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,610 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dairy allergy

Here, Here, Helen.

The rash of postings from Jean-Luc N are ill-informed and not supported by factual, mature experience of Cambodia. He's just another instant "arm chair" expert.

Milk, in all of its forms, is readily available in all major centres of Cambodia, either for direct consumption or for use in culinary preparations. Hence the validity of the OPs question.

Jean-Luc N seems to be seeking out any and all postings, even if long out of date, just to post his ill-informed thoughts on.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dairy allergy

We just got back and I just wanted to update this in case someone else needed the Info. There was fresh cows milk readily available in Siem Reap and we had an instance where it was added to a shake at one of those street carts outside of Angkor wat. Luckily we saw it happen and just gave that one to our other child n ordered another one without any milk. Otherwise, the food was very good and it was easy to do dairy free. I also felt that the people understood my concerns when i tried to make sure the milk contained in a dish was coconut milk and not cows milk. Thank you to everyone for your comments!

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Angkor Wat
Angkor Wat
40,142 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,295 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dairy allergy

great to hear you had a wonderful time

was the milk added to the shake fresh milk or 'sweet milk' ? (aka sweetened condensed milk - which the Khmers LOVE) - I do hope you were able to try a fruit shake that didnt contain sweet milk, sugar syrup, & water - the best ones are based on coconut water and have only fruit & ice added.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dairy allergy

He said it was fresh cows milk. It wasn’t as thick or sweet as condensed milk. We were able to get a shake without the added milk and it was delicious!

Ballarat
Level Contributor
47 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dairy allergy

Hi, I also have a dairy allergy. I found it very easy to eat in Cambodia. I did make up some little allergy cards as a precaution. They had pictures of dairy foods with a cross through it. When I wasn't sure I whipped out my little laminated chart. Easy. I didn't have any issues at all.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Dairy allergy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Siem Reap