We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dairy allergy

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Dairy allergy

Hello, my son has a dairy allergy and I was wondering if there are any specific dishes that I should be concerned about? I plan on having our hotel write out a card for us but it would be good to know if something usually has dairy (that wouldn’t be obvious to me) in case the waitstaff doesn’t fully understand. Do they cook with butter or is it just oil? We will have EPI Pens on hand. Thank you!!

2 replies to this topic
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,964 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dairy allergy

Cambodia does not have a tradition of using dairy - they have no dairy herd and any fresh milk available is imported. Coconut milk is used where 'milk' is required in a dish and most places would use oil rather than butter (except perhaps some in hotel restaurants). I doubt you will have any problems but its a good plan to get the cards written up by your hotel. Just be aware that the 'general understanding' of allergies (and anaphylaxis in particular) is very poor - its simply not something the local population come into contact with very often. People with nut/fish allergies have a more difficult time than most other allergy sufferers.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dairy allergy

Thank you so much! I feel better knowing it isn’t used much.

Reply to: Dairy allergy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted