We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there Viettel SIM cards for sale in Siem Reap?

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Are there Viettel SIM cards for sale in Siem Reap?

Hello, this summer (end of June) I will be in Siem Reap for about 4 days. From there I will be in Vietnam for about a month. From what I understand the Vietnamese cell phone carrier Viettel does not have roaming charges in Cambodia. When I am in Siem Reap that is the only time I will be in Cambodia. Is there any way I can get a SIM from Viettel when I am in Siem Reap, from the airport or the city itself? It would make it easier for me in the long run for my trip. If not, which is the best SIM card to get for 4 days in Siem Reap, preferably from the airport? I don't have much of a budget for SIM cards as my understanding is they're pretty cheap in SE Asia. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
274 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there Viettel SIM cards for sale in Siem Reap?

I don't think you will be able to get Viettel SIM in Cambodia, in spite of that Cambodian metfone is owned by Viettel.When I bought my metfone card in the metfone Kampot branch, I asked whether I could use my Viettel card

in Cambodia, they said no.

If it is true that there are no roaming charges for Viettel, I won't have to keep buying metfone SIMs, that expire after 2 months of inactivity,every 3 months I come to Cambodia for my Vietnamese visa.

I was still able to get a 3G metfone for 1 $ last week , although the 4G SIMs are 4 $ now.

Mentioned in this post
Kampot
Kampot
Kampot Province, Cambodia
Western Australia...
Level Contributor
31 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there Viettel SIM cards for sale in Siem Reap?

Husband and I are currently in Siem Reap and bought a Metfone SIM for USD5 but you can get cheaper ones. Had Viettel in Vietnam but does not work here. Viettel cost us around USD10

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Rydalmere, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there Viettel SIM cards for sale in Siem Reap?

Hi, I bought a Viettel card whilst in Hanoi with the understanding that it would work in Cambodia on the Viettel owned Metfone network. It doesn’t. I researched, asked the question, they were wrong.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,600 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there Viettel SIM cards for sale in Siem Reap?

Hello Kevin W

Just buy either a cheap Cellcard or Smart SIM card and accept that it will only work within Cambodia. You won't go wrong with either telco. But at time of purchase at airport or elsewhere, just be sure to clearly know what you want your sim card to be capable of and be sure to tell the telco operator/vendor at the airport kiosk this information about intended usage and they will then quickly match your needs up with the cheapest appropriat sim card plan.

Vietnamese, Thai and Lao telco sim cards do not function within Cambodia, and vice versa, other than in the very expensive "global/regional roaming" mode, but worse still, you can't top up the credit on the card outside of each country.

So just get a VN sim card of choice once in VN. I do not recommend you buy your VN sim card at a border crossing as many problems can be encountered by doing so. Wait until you are settled at your first overnight town to buy your sim card.

There are far too many examples of people buying the cheapest sim card plan available without regard to function required then coming on forum to complain!

However, as a non-permanent resident of Cambodia I do have the problem described by thecyclist03 and occasionally have to get an entirely different sim card/HP number which is a bit of a pain but as I load all my contacts to the phone and not to the sim card, my contacts instantly have my new number once I call them so not a great hardship - just a minor inconvenience should they need to call me before I call them.

I have a cheap Samsung J7 smart phone, purchased in Cambodia, that accommodates two (2) sim cards and lets me elect to run on a particular sim card or on both simultaneously. The phone works magnificently. I keep my Australian Telstra sim card permanently in place and just swap other country sim cards in and out as required. For telecommunications/data you buy on functionality not price.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there Viettel SIM cards for sale in Siem Reap?

Vietel you mean is metfone here

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there Viettel SIM cards for sale in Siem Reap?

WiFi is plentiful, plentiful, plentiful. Didn't bother getting a sim card.

Reply to: Are there Viettel SIM cards for sale in Siem Reap?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Siem Reap