We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub street with young children

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Pub street with young children

We are a family of four staying at the Silk d'Angkor hotel and while the hotel seems to have a decent restaurant i'm also keen to try more local food. Is Pub street a suitable place to go and eat out in the evenings with the kids or is it a bit too hectic.

Mentioned in this post
Silk D'Angkor Boutique Hotel
Silk D'Angkor Boutique...
1,234 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Pub Street
Pub Street
7,989 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
12 replies to this topic
Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pub street with young children

Absolutely fine to take your children out to Pub Street. As the evening wears on it will get busier and the music coming from some of the bars will get louder. It gets particularly busy at each end of the street as there will be dozens of tuk tuk drivers touting for business (vehicles are not allowed to go into Pub Street in the evenings).

As long as you keep an eye on your children you will be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Pub Street
Pub Street
7,989 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pub street with young children

Lots and lots of other eating places besides Pub Street.

Pavements in Siem Reap can be a bit crowded and tuk tuks and others clutter the roads so watch out for your children at all times. Especially as it gets dark.

Edited: January 25, 2018, 9:00 pm
Mentioned in this post
Pub Street
Pub Street
7,989 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pub street with young children

I think your biggest worry would be the kids tripping over something, running into somebody, etc. It was busy but always seemed safe. As others said, a few of the roads are shut off to traffic, which is nice. Just be careful when you leave the streets that are shut off to traffic. It can be hard to navigate as an adult, and it's harder at night.

There will be tuk tuks at every road barrier. If you're going more than a couple blocks off of the main stretch, you can get one for pretty cheap to safely whisk you to your next destination.

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pub street with young children

Thanks everyone for your replies

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pub street with young children

I would avoid pub street like the plague, especially with children! There are so many nice restaurants in Siem Reap away from there. It’s like playa de las americas in Tenerife with tacky neon signs, drunk people & beggars everywhere! I was quite disturbed by the amputee beggars & I’m an adult.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,510 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pub street with young children

Visit Pub St during the day - not crowded Visit after dark and it can be awful. Plenty of options for eating outside Pub St that will actually be a whole lot more authentic.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
22,893 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pub street with young children

I agree that it would be better to go to Pub Street with your children during the daytime, perhaps for lunch. You haven’t mentioned their ages but if they are very young and are used to a quieter environment , it could be quite overwhelming for them. I’m used to travel and eating in various places but find that Pub Street at night is not an ideal place for dinner as you can’t hear yourself think and it’s like being in the middle of a crazy circus or something.

Just a short walk away outside the Pub Street area you’ll find many street side restaurants where the food is better, a good deal cheaper, it’s quieter and a good deal more pleasant for a family meal.

Mentioned in this post
Pub Street
Pub Street
7,989 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
uk
Level Contributor
479 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pub street with young children

You may find your kids have other ideas! My daughter spotted a BBQ restaurant with a playroom from the tuktuk and pointed it out every time we went to and from the temples. Eventually we gave in and went there the last night.

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pub street with young children

What was it called, my 2 are 6 and 10. I remember when I was in Chaeweng Koh Samui many years ago and it was quite sleazy with lots of bar girls, im hoping Pub street isn't like that. I'll also take the advice of trying restaurants off the main strip/road

Mentioned in this post
Pub Street
Pub Street
7,989 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
puerto princesa
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pub street with young children

I would have an early meal and leave by 7 pm when so many drunks are around