We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USD in Siem Reap

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
95 posts
51 reviews
48 helpful votes
USD in Siem Reap

I just returned from Siem ReAp but am still wondering why all the transactions are mentioning Ned in USD prices though they have their local currency. And surprisingly all the vendors and the tuk tuk Driver also accepts USD !!

Any locals to clarify this ??

18 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
52 reviews
41 helpful votes
1. Re: USD in Siem Reap

The riel is a non convertible currency so the country has developed a highly dollarized economy to survive.

Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
10 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: USD in Siem Reap

Yes, it is a bit ridiculous that this country accepts USD as a major transaction currency; generally a proud country would use only it's own... this in fact tends to push inflation as cents are not available and only round dollar values are mentioned.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
71 reviews
43 helpful votes
3. Re: USD in Siem Reap

East Timor - another SE Asian country - also uses USD as its primary currency.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
166 reviews
126 helpful votes
4. Re: USD in Siem Reap

I'm guessing Jean-Luc hasn't actually been to Cambodia & has completely no idea at all how the riel is used in conjunction with the $US

Ridiculous & completely untrue to say prices are only given in round dollar values

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
166 reviews
126 helpful votes
5. Re: USD in Siem Reap

Reminds me of an English woman in Kep 2 weeks ago, paid for a $3 coffee with a $5 note, got 8000 riel back in change & then asked the waitress where the rest of her money was :)

Completely clueless

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16,100 posts
5 reviews
11 helpful votes
6. Re: USD in Siem Reap

Hello Jean-Luc N

What a load of nonsense in posting # 2.

Dual-pricing is the rule in Cambodia and one can pay in either currency.

Paying in USD$ and getting small change back in KHR notes provided plenty of flexibility for very accurate pricing and change giving.

As in many countries, Australia included, very small coins were done away with years ago. But in Cambodia you still have very small denomination notes in lieu.

Rgds. Ian/Angkorlad

Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
10 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: USD in Siem Reap

hmm... load of nonsense ? JL just came back from Cambodia... And if you need to understand the disadvantages of using dollar in a country like Cambodia, perhaps you should do some research and consult studies by the IMF before you dismiss an OP as clueless or suggesting nonsense. Thank you

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16,100 posts
5 reviews
11 helpful votes
8. Re: USD in Siem Reap

Hello again Jean-Luc N

Not only have I been working in Cambodia every year multiple times for the past 26 years but I was also part of the management team at end of UNAMIC and then UNTAC/ONTAC that helped bring the country back up off its knees.

In addition to which, I only got back from Cambodia on Tuesday 21st February 2018 and am already ticketed for my next three visits there in April, August and November 2018.

I fully understand the monetary system within Cambodia.

Back to the Cambodia 101 course for you I suggest.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
12 reviews
26 helpful votes
9. Re: USD in Siem Reap

Jean-Luc, in post 2 you said "only round dollar values are mentioned"

As other have said, that IS a load of nonsense. Prices are quoted in dollars and cents. As Cambodia doesn't actually use cents this is why they have dual currencies. Riel are used as an alternative to cents.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,025 posts
86 reviews
91 helpful votes
10. Re: USD in Siem Reap

For anyone reading this thread who needs a clear explanation of how the two currencies work in tandem - please read this …freewebs.com/tuktukangkorwat/…20Cambodia.pdf

Reply to: USD in Siem Reap
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Siem Reap