We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just a little hint re prices here for first timers

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
953 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
Just a little hint re prices here for first timers

Hi

Not entirely sure if I am confident enough to write a trip report but thought I’d pass on a little bit of info I’ve learnt here in Siem Reap - we are here now.

T shirts at the markets are easily bargained down to $2 BUT at the temples they were $1. No overheads apparently. I bought a dress for myself - long sundress for $5 at the market but cheaper at the temples. Really surprised by that. Pretend Nike Ts for men, the silky sort are $3 at the market. Beers are still 50c at a lot of places, pitchers of Singapore Sling $5.95 etc.

I’m fussy with food but here the food is great.

Tomorrow is massage day.... rolled ice cream as it looks good, and laundry at $1 per kilo. After two days of wonderful temples, we need a temple break.

Not sure if this helps anyone but i would have liked to know...just didn’t ask.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Damnak Steakhouse
₱₱ - ₱₱₱, Italian, Steakhouse, Cambodian
Fresh Fruit Factory
₱₱ - ₱₱₱, Cafe, International, Contemporary
Crane
₱₱ - ₱₱₱, European, Cambodian, Asian
27 replies to this topic
puerto princesa
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just a little hint re prices here for first timers

And many places offer foot massage for $1 or 2 but you are expected to tip well.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
833 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just a little hint re prices here for first timers

We (mainly my mum) bought a lot of stuff from sellers at the temples. Our tuk tuk driver said it was nice that we did that as the sellers at the temples tend to be very poor people, whereas many of the sellers at old market in town are not so poor

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
953 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just a little hint re prices here for first timers

Then I feel even better Dags. They didn’t even say $12 for a T as they do in the market....they said $1, which I really appreciated as not fond of bargaining. We had a guide with us so I didn’t feel I could waste too much time looking though.

Wow $1-2 massages. I saw a few wth boards saying $4 +.

My other half tried silkworms at the bug stall. They aren’t cheap at $1, not sure the price of the snakes, spiders, crickets or dried frogs. Rolled ice cream is more my thing or $1 fruitshakes.

Devon
Level Contributor
597 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just a little hint re prices here for first timers

My love please feel free to give more info - be brave and write that trip report.....I for one would love to read it as we will be 1st timers in less than 7 weeks!!

Whilst we also want to see some of the temples, like you I think two days will be ample and I would love to know what else you find to do.

Happy new year and travels

Lin

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
89 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just a little hint re prices here for first timers

Could agree more, Lin. I will be there in 3 days time and I'm so nervous even though it is my 2nd time around. During my last trip, I bought a travel guide book at the market. I thought I had a good bargain until I met an Australian lady at the king's swimming pool, who bought the same book for a song. Really good idea to buy at the temple. Have to bargain really hard. A great tip from optionalsextras. Looking forward to reading your reviews, dear.

Keng

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just a little hint re prices here for first timers

Leaving a cold UK tomorrow for BKK then on to Siem Reap. Very happy to read your advice. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
953 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just a little hint re prices here for first timers

I’m touched people are actually interested in my ramblings. We still have two weeks of travel yet to go.

Our itinerary has been/is

Ho Chi Minh city 1 night , Siem Reap (1 night) , Battambang (3 nights) , Siem Reap (5 nights), Sihanoukville (1 night), Kampot (3), Kep (2), Phnom Penh (2), Bangkok (2).

Any questions meanwhile feel free to ask even private message. Not sure I’ll get to writing a report before we get home though. It was New Year’s Eve last night and even at 5.24am the party is still happening. Between weddings (all nighters), roosters, dogs and geckos my noise cancelling headphones have been a blessing.

PS no need to bargain hard at the temples if they offer a TShirt for $1. You won’t find cheaper than that. I liked that they were upfront with the price.

Edited: January 01, 2018, 6:36 am
Mentioned in this post
The Night Hotel
The Night Hotel
132 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Battambang
Battambang
Battambang Province, Cambodia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville Province, Cambodia
Kampot
Kampot
Kampot Province, Cambodia
Kep
Kep
Kep Province, Cambodia
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Midlands
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just a little hint re prices here for first timers

Thank you for that info! We go to Cambodia in Aug next year and I’ve heard that clothing is very inexpensive. Really appreciate the info :)

Mentioned in this post
Queensland...
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just a little hint re prices here for first timers

Thanks optionalextras, heading over to Siem Reap towards the end of the month and as it will all be new to us, appreciate your post. Always have to buy the T shirt. cheers. CJ

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just a little hint re prices here for first timers

Thanks optionalextras my friend and I leave at the end of the month for 7 days in siem reap. Now I know we don't have to shop all over for the best prices. We're first timers, both ladies over 70 and love reading everyone's trip reports.were thinking of spending 3 mornings at the temples and the rest of the time in the pool or in town. Any tips for us would be appreciated

Reply to: Just a little hint re prices here for first timers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Siem Reap