We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Cheslyn Hay, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Currency

What currency is best to have for exchange

20 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,273 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Currency

And dont forget to have as close to exact change as possible in $US for ur voa if you're going that route. Can't always count on a working ATM pre immigration.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
935 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Currency

US dollars is the go in Cambodia.... while 100$ notes can be changed at hotels or larger restaurants as mentioned above 1$usd are handy to have for tips, drivers, hotel staff etc.... while riel may be given in change, if you are here for a few days it can add up and will be accepted... we usually leave riel as a tip for housekeeping at the end of our stays...

Another tip mentioned on previous threads which we thought was helpful, was when withdrawing from an ATM request 190$ or 290$ or 390$, this way you will get some smaller notes along with the larger 100$... it's the bigger notes that need to be in good condition.

We like to have a little of the currency of the destination we are visiting, so we not racing around an airport/bus or train station trying to get local currency. Why not have 10 x 1$, 5 x 5$, 2 0r 3 x 20$ notes to cover at least the first few hours in Cambodia?

Cheers, baddles

Mentioned in this post
Den Haag
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Currency

The problems with small notes can be twofold: in europe you can buy a stack of 30 bills of 10$ or so but in asian countries the exchange rate is not very good, 3 bills of 100 are easier and better. Plus they will inspect every bill, you have a little tear in one? Worthless. Ever been to Burma where you thought you 10 dollar note was pristine? Nope worth about 0 dollars, see that spot there?

Plus it is usually easy to go to a popular cafe and buy a cappu, pay with. 50 or 100$ and get change. Buy toothpaste or whatever in a supermarket. Yup most drivers dont have change so collect some smaller bills, amd your hotel will be happy to dump loads of small change on you when you pay. In case all that does not work go to a money changer. And that driver that cannot change a 20 dollar bill? Walk away and see what happends, now it is His problem not yours ;-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
171 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Currency

Small $ notes are very very important in Cambodia and certainly in Siem Reap. I found that three-quarters of my purchases were <$5 so the $1 and $5 notes were practically the only option. $1 goes a long way in cambodia and most people can't return change for $10 at ease, let alone $20 or $50.

Twice on my recent trip I had to scrounge round for change - and I can only strongly recommend you carry plenty of $1 bills.

If you have too many at the end of a trip tuk-tuk drivers and roadside vendors will gladly change their bigger notes for these.

Edit: I disagree with Rolf S' somewhat cavalier suggestion of popping into a supermarket for change. There are few 'supermarkets' in Siem Reap and during the day when you're touring around and visiting the Angkor complex it will be impossible to do anything meaningful with that $100 (or 50) bill.

Edited: December 29, 2017, 4:18 am
Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
angkor
angkor
19 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Den Haag
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Currency

most people can't return change for $10? Well I never had that problem, after all the dollar is the default currency in Cambodia. OK, a tuktuk driver will not have change for 50$ but really, if someone has no change for 10 or 20 dollar then buy you stuff somewhere else. Hotels will all change large notes, as will good restaurants. Streetfood is another matter.

Mentioned in this post
Ostrava, Czech...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Currency

One time i have problem with all-new 100USD note. It's so new that it's seems to be taken from my inkjet few hours back ;-)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
241 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Currency

Kray 16 -- thank you for summing up your experience in a practical and informative manner.

Fiumefreddo di...
Level Contributor
75 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Currency

hello guys, I also insert myself in the discussion. I wanted to ask you if I bring currency in euros can I easily change it in dollars?

Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Currency

UNITED STATES DOLLARS,are best,money changers and most banks will break $100 dollar notes into $20-$10-$5-$1 notes,get mostly $5 and $1 notes,we are in Siem Reap now!

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Den Haag
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Currency

You can bring currency in euros and very easily change it in dollars. No problems. Lots of ATMs too, though they can be troublesome and reject your card sometimes. And have a limit of 250$ withdrawal.

Reply to: Currency
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Siem Reap