We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banteay Chhmar homestay

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
7 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Banteay Chhmar homestay

As I can't find a way to recommend the homestay in Banteay Chhmar, I am putting a note here in hopes that travelers can take advantage of this lovely option. We just traveled to Siem Reap and absolutely loved it. We spent one overnight at a homestay in Banteay Chhmar through a "Community Based Tourism" project in that village. We were picked up at our hotel at 9am (by a volunteer driver from the village) for the 2 1/2 hr drive to the village and had lunch outdoors at the CBT office which was delicious. We then had a private tour of the lovely temple in that village which is within walking distance. The tour was done by Sy, the president of the small CBT organization and was AMAZING. He must have spent 3 hr with us and went through many of the carvings telling the stories. He is really well informed about the temple and very entertaining. We had the temple and guide all to ourselves. Then we had a delicious dinner watching the sunset behind the temple with 5 musicians playing traditional music with beautiful instruments. We slept in a local family's home which was beautiful. Were not hot with a fan, nice ventilated windows and mosquito nets over the bed. We did have our own sheet on hand which we used. They supplied us with towels. The cost of the guided tour (5$/person), music (5$/person), and food 4-5$/person rm (5$/person) is very low but transportation is about 60$ from town for 3 hr drive. We thought it was worth it. Through this CBT project, the village has been able to pay for a library, librarian who teaches the kids English, and a trash truck! I highly recommend this experience and would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banteay Chhmar homestay

Hi. Glad I found your post!!. I'm currently researching this option whilst staying in Siem Reap. I wondered did you pre book the Homestay prior to arriving in Cambodia. I have found the CBT home page where they outline several famiies offering this service and the option of one or two night stays . Did you liaise directly with CBT and chose which home stay!! Did CBT arrange transportation as this option is not covered on their website.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Cairns
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banteay Chhmar homestay

Hi

We're planning a trip in October - you may find the book we purchased "Banteay Chhmar" by Peter Sharrock of interest - 200 pages of information and detail about the Khmer Garrison Temple

Edited: February 09, 2018, 1:15 pm
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banteay Chhmar homestay

Thank you for the book recommendation. We now have a reservation at Banteay Chhmar homestay arranged through the CBT website (Tath Sophal).

Very helpful and clear dialogue resulting in a trip tailor made to our exact requirements.

Reply to: Banteay Chhmar homestay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted