We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pay for the extra day in the hotel or go to the airport?

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
Pay for the extra day in the hotel or go to the airport?

I am still making a plan for my 9 night stay in Dubai.

I am not sure about the following and your advice is appreciated.

Day8 + Day9 we are planning to visit dubai parks after breakfast with our children ages 2 and 4.

As we will be leaving the hotel on day 9 at around 10:30am from the marina and planning to return at 8pm back to the hotel.

Our international flight from dubai airport Will be at 3 am the next day (6.5 hours after arrival to the hotel from the parks)

So my question is :

is it worth it to pay the for our last night at the hotel if we will stay there for few hours before going to the airport at 12 am most likely.

Or

shall we leave our luggage at reception and checkout before heading to the parks in the morning. And when we arrive to the hotel around 8:30 take our luggage and head directly to an airport lounge. I know the kids will want to sleep but don't know what will be the best option. Can we check in more than 3 hours or we can take luggage to the lounge.

Special Offer
Dubai Desert 4x4 Dune Bashing...
2,028 Reviews
from US$67.40*
US$89.87
Best Seller
Full-Day Tour of Abu Dhabi City From...
415 Reviews
from US$48.00*
Special Offer
Desert Safari in Dubai with Barbecue...
167 Reviews
from US$58.65*
US$69.00
20 replies to this topic
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
190 reviews
1. Re: Pay for the extra day in the hotel or go to the airport?

if you are travelling on emirates you can check in early and spent time at airport lounge, other airlines will open the counter only 3 hours prior to the departure, some airline has option to drop of your bags early, that you need to check with your airline. In my opinion its better to keep the room for the last day as well so that the kids can take some rest and freshen up and go to airport by 12AM or else its going to be so tiring for all of you.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Pay for the extra day in the hotel or go to the airport?

There's a few different ways to do this.

One could be to negotiate with the hotel for a later checkout. Depending on the hotel, they could perhaps charge a partial nightly rate and give you a few hours later in the room.

Checking out and storing the luggage at hotel with tags is another (cheaper) option, but of course you lack the convenience of comfort before the flight and after parks.

If you're considering lounge access at the airport, and it's not complimentary, that could also cost you - so factor that against the cost of extending a checkout.

Depending on the carrier, it is possible to check in well before the normal 2-3 hours of flight departure.

Given that you're looking to head out approx 2030, that could be an extra 8 hours+ depending on the check-in time, and depending on the hotel, it could just be cheaper to book another night and checkout at the later time.

If it's a 'cheaper' hotel, ie a 3 star or so with a small number of rooms, they may be less flexible in offering an 'extended' later checkout, which is why paying another night could be more likely.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,230 posts
170 reviews
3. Re: Pay for the extra day in the hotel or go to the airport?

Book another night at the hotel, or a cheaper one

The one thing many people don't seem to consider after a whole day spent doing things, is the need to get showered etc, before catching a long-haul flight

London, United...
Level Contributor
718 posts
1 review
4. Re: Pay for the extra day in the hotel or go to the airport?

So very true! After sitting next to two male travellers en route from Dubai to Australia who obviously hadn’t bothered to avail themselves of their hotel shower facility I couldn’t agree more.

Even when you check out and leave your bags at the hotel, they will often still let you use the showers to freshen up before a flight, however short it is.

Boston...
Level Contributor
31 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Pay for the extra day in the hotel or go to the airport?

"Even when you check out and leave your bags at the hotel, they will often still let you use the showers to freshen up before a flight, however short it is."

I don't understand, aren't the showers adjacent to the room, and so not accessible after checkout? Or are these showers located in bathrooms near the hotel lobby?

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,775 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Pay for the extra day in the hotel or go to the airport?

Many hotels have a gym with showers which they may allow people to use after they have checked out, or pool changing rooms and showers.

Edited: August 17, 2018, 10:40 am
kota
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Pay for the extra day in the hotel or go to the airport?

Yes you may use common washrooms or pool bathroom will be cheaper and better option

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Pay for the extra day in the hotel or go to the airport?

I wouldn't say relying on a hotel to let ex-guests use a bathroom is a 'better' method, simply because it's not always guaranteed.

Hotels may be too busy, may not care, it may be hassle, or a multitude of reasons - so I wouldn't advise risking it. Of course, you could be lucky, but it depends what's more important - saving money or being reassured.

Pony up the little extra money for an extra night = peace of mind.

Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
840 posts
266 reviews
9. Re: Pay for the extra day in the hotel or go to the airport?

With 2 small kids I would pay for an extra night.

They may be tired already at 4, and then you can return to your hotel and relax.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
15 posts
19 reviews
10. Re: Pay for the extra day in the hotel or go to the airport?

I'm checking out of our hotel at 11 am and like you got a 3am flight. We are prepared for a long day but without small children, so not as bad. If the hotel can negotiate an extended stay, I would definitely consider it.

Reply to: Pay for the extra day in the hotel or go to the airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted