We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy jewellery

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
786 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy jewellery

Hi all

Coming to Dubai in November to celebrate a significant birthday,so thought it would be nice to buy a piece of jewellery to mark the occasion.I would really appreciate some advice on where to shop.I'm thinking along the lines of a nice diamond pendant necklace.

Thanks in advance

Eve

10 replies to this topic
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
48,153 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy jewellery

In the gold souk which is in the older part of the city or the gold and diamond park, which is closer to the beach hotels.

Know the price of what you want to buy in Gloucester as a comparison and then haggle hard for the price you want to pay. Try several shops until you find what you like at a price you are happy to pay

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,130 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy jewellery

Where would you be staying? In Dubai there is always some gold retail outlet near you.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
786 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy jewellery

Thanks both. We are staying at The Weston Mina Seyahi. I seem to remember a particular shop was recommended here.

I think I prefer the idea of a shop rather than the souk but would welcome your thoughts

Thanks again

Eve

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
381 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy jewellery

The Gold Souk is made up of lots of Shops - perfectly safe to buy from there.

London
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy jewellery

The gold and diamond park will be nearer to you but you will have plenty of variety at other the gold souk or the gold and diamond park. Have purchased from both over the years and never had any problems.

England
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy jewellery

We have always enjoyed the service at Cara in the Gold and Diamond park near to the Mall of the Emirates.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,104 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy jewellery

We thought the Gold Souk was an amazing place... really worthwhile going to see it, even if you don’t actually buy anything.

Yes, some of the merchants will try to get you to go into their shops, but we found a shake of the head and a polite “ Not just now, thanks” worked and we didn’t feel pestered or pressurised at all.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
786 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy jewellery

Thanks all- Cara was the name of the shop I’d read about, but will definitely look at the shops in the souk too

Cheers

Eve

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
23,422 posts
2,300 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy jewellery

The gold souk is not as good as it used to be. The gold shops have realised that ill informed tourists are easy pickings. So you have to do your research, be aware of the daily price of gold and the mark up for craftsmanship.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
786 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy jewellery

Thank you-good advice

Eve

Reply to: Where to buy jewellery
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted