We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Plitvice Lakes to Zadar to Split

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
102 reviews
38 helpful votes
From Plitvice Lakes to Zadar to Split
Save

Hi all, Sorry but I got confused by the forum postings. Need some advice on how to make transport arrangements. My itinerary is as follows:

Day 3: From Plitvice Lakes to Zadar

Dat 4: From Zadar to Split

For the segment from Plitvice Lakes to Zadar, I understand that I can buy bus tickets online via www.akz.hr but there're so many bus options e.g. Autopromet, Croatia Bus, Autobusni Promet and etc. I need a bus where the driver speaks english though, so which bus should I pick? I'm assuming these buses have luggage compartments underneath the buses, so I can deposit my luggages there?

But what about from Zadar to Split? Is there an online site that I can buy bus tickets?

How about http://www.buscroatia.com/ or https://getbybus.com/en/? Are they reliable?

I also understand that there's no bus terminal in Plitvice, so where would I have to alight? for my next day trip to Zadar, do I board back the same location or elsewhere?

Besides buses, are there any modes of transportation from Plitvice Lakes to Zadar to Split E.g. taxi? I tried asking Atlas Croatia but they gave me quite a high quote. Trying to find cheaper means of transport that can give me more flexibility on timing, besides public buses.

Appreciate any help/advice given, be it via this forum or you can drop me an email at yapefang@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance!

E Fang

Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: From Plitvice Lakes to Zadar to Split
Save

Could anyone please relate to her questions?

I have the same questions :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
102 reviews
38 helpful votes
2. Re: From Plitvice Lakes to Zadar to Split
Save

Hi Lihi, I got a response from a nice lady Lili from my hotel. She told me that from Plitvice to Zadar, I can only buy the tickets on the bus only. There is a local bus company there and they will release the timetables soon. You may want to check with your hotel and see if they can help check on the timetables for the timings that you're looking for.

As for from Zadar to Split, my hotel advise me to buy the tickets when I arrive at Zadar Central Terminal for next day's trip to Split.

I've checked with a few tour agencies in Croatia, the inter-city travels by private transfers are very expensive, in the ranges between 200-300 EUR. Ouch! That's way out of my budget range. It may be cheaper to rent a car and drive but my sis it not familiar with Continental cars, so we'll not risk it and decide to take buses instead.

Hope this helps.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
74 posts
11 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: From Plitvice Lakes to Zadar to Split
Save

Majority of driver do not speak fluent English, but that should not be a problem.

If you have large suitcase, it will go to the hold, some companies charge a few Kuna for this (5-10). Normally the driver loads the suitcase to the hold.

At the ticket from getbybus.com the stops at plitvice are stated at the ticket, some companies, stop at entrance 1 only, other at Entrance 1, Entrance 2 and in Mukinje. The bus stops at the road are easy to find.

Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: From Plitvice Lakes to Zadar to Split
Save

Thanks you two, it helps me a lot :)

Hayle, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: From Plitvice Lakes to Zadar to Split
Save

Hi Morten, I have just booked tickets with GetByBus to Plitvice, and really wanted to get of at Entrance 2, but on printing my eticket find we are booked for Entrance 1 , how far off Entrance 2 are we if we have to get off at Entrance 1 greatfull for any advice ! cheers Allan

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
102 reviews
38 helpful votes
6. Re: From Plitvice Lakes to Zadar to Split
Save

Hi all, I just got back. Here's what I found out:

1. Although you bought the tickets from GetByBus, it's just an invoice but not the actual bus ticket. When you head down to the bus terminal to collect your tickets, check with the counter again if you can top up and align at Entrance 2 or if it doesn't cost extra to alight at Entrance 2 instead.

2. When you get on-board the bus, there's always a bus driver and a bus conductor (or the gentlement/lady who collects the tickets, stows your luggage away and checks your tickets). Check with them again to be sure. The Croatian folks are really friendly, so no worries.

3. Distance between Entrance 1 and 2 are quite far, you'll have to walk a bit for a while. If you've a lot of luggage, may not be feasible, especially for gravel roads.

- If you're heading for accommodations near Entrance 2, then better make sure you can alight at Entrance 2. If not, check with your hotel/hostel if they can come and pick you up by car instead.

- However, if you just want to focus on the sights at Entrance 2 instead, you can go into Entrance 1 and take a panoramic train over to Entrance 2 and start from there. Cost of the train (it's a tram actually) ride is covered as part of the Entrance ticket. There's a train every 30 minutes if I did not remember incorrectly. If you're concerned with luggage, there're lockers at the entrances for you to stow your luggage away.

4. Outside Entrance 2 are the 2 bus stops to/fro Zadar and Zagreb respectively. There's a counter where you can buy bus tickets actually. I'll suggest you buy the tickets for your departure the moment you reach Plitvice as they are sold out quite quickly and you'll have to wait for a bus with very late timing before you can get to your next destination.

5. Besides the buses offered by http://akz.hr, there's also another line by Prijevoz Knezevic from Plitvice to Zadar, Split, Skradin (NP KRKA) and Zagreb. I understand from my Innkeeper that the timings for these lines are usually published a few days before the actual travel and there's no website to check also. So I would suggest you check with your hotel/hostel/Inn if they've any idea. If not, then just check out the timing when you get there.

6. when I arrvied at Plitvice, I alighted at Mukinje bus station, 1 stop after Entrance 2. When you depart, do note that you can depart either from Entrance 1 or Entrance 2. If you want to board from Mukinje bus station, you can only buy the tickets when you're on the bus and if the bus is full, they'll not even stop for you. This happens during peak season.

Hope this helps and have load of fun there!

Cheers

E Fang

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
74 posts
11 reviews
6 helpful votes
7. Re: From Plitvice Lakes to Zadar to Split
Save

Hi Allan

Depending on bus company they do not all officially stop at entrance 2, which is why you e.g. have Entrance 1 only printed on the ticket in some cases, but as far as i am informed they actually also stop at Entrance 2, if there is people waiting.

During summer season bus companies often send 2 buses, which means you can see a full bus passing you at Entrance 1 or 2 thinking they oversaw you, in that case just wait, if they have passengers with booked ticket a second bus will come.

Also bare in mind that delays in departure time can happen do to traffic at this time a year.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
74 posts
11 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: From Plitvice Lakes to Zadar to Split
Save

Hi Allan

i tought you wrote getting on the bus :-) getting of the bus at entrance 2 should be no problem at all, just ask the driver / co-driver in do time

Brgds, Morten

Hayle, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: From Plitvice Lakes to Zadar to Split
Save

Thanks for your reply, E Fang looking forward to Croatia now !!! Also thanks Morten, looking forward to getting to Split as well for our last 5 days !!!! cheers Allan

10. Re: From Plitvice Lakes to Zadar to Split

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: August 11, 2015, 12:15 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.