We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Croatia

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
Driving in Croatia
Save

Hi,

how is driving in Croatia in general? We are from Australia so we used to the other side of the road to start with and also use auto only.

Are roads scary to drive, especially in mountainous areas?

My wife is a bit of a chicken when it comes to heights etc :)

Thanks in advance!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
1. Re: Driving in Croatia
Save

Hi there

Your wife can join my club then I am a complete chicken when

it comes to roads.

I found the roads a complete nightmare especially the road into Korcula.

Hairpin bends with no barriers I had many panic attacks.

But the island itself would be ok for driving in the parts we visited no problems whatsoever.You can avoid the roads by taking the ferry.

As I will be doing next year.

Croatia is one of the nicest countries we have visited. But for road safety issues the worst. I found it dodgy even walking down the roads especially in parts of Cavtat no barriers with drops on the side. Not good.

But don't let me put you off you will have a great time.

Dawn

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
102 reviews
164 helpful votes
2. Re: Driving in Croatia
Save

I can only speak to the roads in Istria.

I made sure I could get a automatic transmission car when I drove. I didn't mind the small mountain roads in Istria because there was not a lot of traffic. The highways up there were good as well (but they were not divided highways and cars were speeding along them).

I was glad not to drive down the coast further south. Lovely views but a lot of cars and I could not have enjoyed the views with my eyes on the road.

Hailey, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
13,460 posts
587 reviews
279 helpful votes
3. Re: Driving in Croatia
Save

we drove from zagreb to istira, and it was easy. on the way down to split,we started on the coastal route, and yes, it is more urban, but we had to get back on the autoban, because we were taking too much time!!!

The drive from istria to split was easy. i would not like to drive near Dub. and have no experience on the islands, except vis, and we did this on motor scooters...fun

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
28,346 posts
74 reviews
75 helpful votes
4. Re: Driving in Croatia
Save

If you hire an automatic make sure the engine is a reasonable capacity or it will be a bit gutless getting up mountains. I was a little nervous at times on the windy bits and be aware that while you shouldn't speed (police hot on speeding) many of the locals will and it's best to keep out of their way :-)

If on the multilane highways keep right unless you're passing and if you do pass do so quickly and then get back in the right lane; watch your rear vision mirror for someone whizzing up your backside :-)

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Dalmatia, Brac Island, Korcula Island
Level Contributor
112,346 posts
86 reviews
40 helpful votes
5. Re: Driving in Croatia
Save

I drove for the first time and yes the roads can be a bit intimidating at times but nothing that you couldn't handle. I have no idea where you would plan on going but some roads are lots worse than others. Sometimes I was glad that I had my eyes on the road and not over the side of the road because there were some crazy drops coming out of the mountains. I think the worst road for me was coming from the Mostar area to Split over the mountains from Vrgorac. It was amazing how the road hugged the mountainside but there were good guardrails all along that road. I do think that the public transport system is good and that if you are really apprehensive about driving just take the bus or ferry from place to place.

Cavtat, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
6. Re: Driving in Croatia
Save

I would not drive here if someone paid me. Locals only have one speed - FAST! If your wife has issues with heights, then you need to pursue the ferry and bus system. Renting a automatic can be expensive and there are not very many available, especially in high season. Enjoy the views and use public transportation.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Driving in Croatia
Save

Thanks everyone!

Decided to use bus/ferries as we will be flying from Rome to Split so no need for a car.

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Driving in Croatia
Save

You do not have to change your mind about the car hire but after Italy / Rome Croatia/Split traffic will seem sedated.

Edited: 11 years ago
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
9. Re: Driving in Croatia
Save

Hi there

If you are a driver you are completely focused on the roads so you don't see problems as a passenger. But if you are a passenger with a careful driver that knows the roads then i don't think you would feel as bad as being on a bus where the driver is on his mobile driving round those hairpin bends with no barriers that is blood curdling.

Travelling to Korcula on the bus was a nightmare, If you have problems like me either take a ferry or get counselling as hubby suggests.

Still loved the Country going back next year.

But I am going to make sure I k now the roads we will be travelling on first.

Dawn

Robina, Australia
Level Contributor
787 posts
111 reviews
90 helpful votes
10. Re: Driving in Croatia
Save

Hi Trippin and Flippin

Croatia is a mountainous country with excellent motorways and a coastal road that I found to be fairly slow to drive on. On the coastal road there are plenty of bends but I didn't find it to be at all scary. In general the driving standards are similar to those in Queensland (hmm, who are possibly considered the worst in this country but you'll get an idea of what I mean).

The motorways are new and fantastic to drive on. We found them to be half empty and the temptation to speed was great - but don't because there is a definite police presence which I found out for myself in the form of a speeding ticket.

Yes you would be driving on the right hand side of the road but it doesn't take long to adapt. I found having my own wheels there gave us more flexibility and independence.

And Kefa is spot on - the driving and traffic in Italy is far worse than Croatia.

© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.