We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Croatia August 2019

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Croatia August 2019

Hi. Already started to plan well in advance for our trip sometime in August 2019.

We will fly into Dubrovnik from London and leave from Split to Venice. Total trip 8 to 10 days.

Would like to see some of each town and a few islands.

We are thinking of a couple of days in Dubrovnik first then a Cruise Croatia small ship cruise to Split on the MS Mama Marija. (38 Passengars) Has anyone been on this cruise? Do the boats tie up right in the towns?₩

Or would it be cheaper or better to "do it ourselves"

We are in our very early 60s and used to travelling on ferries etc and finding our own accomodation but wondered if it was worth spoiling ourselves with a small cruise. From what i have heard about Croatia its all about island hopping and relaxing. We do not want a big cruise ship with thousands of people.

Thanks in advance

4 replies to this topic
Europe
Level Contributor
978 posts
1 review
1. Re: Croatia August 2019

Croatia its all about island hopping”

DISAGREE

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
63,781 posts
88 reviews
2. Re: Croatia August 2019

I also disagree with that...Croatia is so much more than island hopping. I also think you can do everything on your own. 8 to 10 days would give you time for Dubrovnik,Split and one or two islands.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,783 posts
170 reviews
3. Re: Croatia August 2019

I agree with Manuel and Merry. There is a lot more to Croatia that island hopping. I have been to a number of islands, but never island hopped and manage to have wonderful holidays years after year.

Having said that, you might find it hard to fit in Dubrovnik, Split and a cruise. As far as I know, most cruises go for a week.

The other option is to spend 2-3 nights in Dubrovnik, 3 nights on an island and 3-4 nights in Split with some day trips.

You haven't told us anything about you interests apart from island hopping, and that makes it hard to make meaningful suggestions.

Are you interested in Croatia's amazing national parks and what else.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
4. Re: Croatia August 2019

Thanks. If we did the cruise we would probably only spend an extra night at the beginning and at the end.

I dont think Croatia is all about island hopping only and realise there is a lot more to see. The cruises appear to be for a week

Think i was just trying to get a feel for what to do for the best. Usually we organise ourselves.

We are not into hiking but like looking around towns and villages. Like scenary and people watching. Bit of beach time. If we have long enough in Dubrovnik would like to go to Montenegro

Reply to: Croatia August 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Croatia