We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Pula/Rijeka to Split "difficulty level"

5 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Pula/Rijeka to Split "difficulty level"

Hi there!

tldr; How challenging/stressful would it be for an English-Speaking American to drive from Pula (or Rijeka) to Split?

I'm an American who speaks English, some Spanish and minimal Italian. I love driving and moved to a major city a while ago, so I don't often get the opportunity to. I can drive manual, although it's been a couple years since I did with any regularity.

The prospect of driving from Pula to Split definitely appeals to me, but it's not a short drive and I'll be by myself as a non-Croatian speaker (sidenote; any reccommendations for learning basic Croatian? DuoLingo's my go-to and doesn't offer it).

Will this be overwhelming? Even if it's not overwhelming, are the specific traffic/road idiosyncrasies I should know about?

Again keep in mind, I like driving generally. But I don't think anyone likes not knowing if they're going the wrong way on a one way or anything like that haha.

(Larger question if anyone has any tips -- I bring this up because I'm trying to get from Venice to Split which is proving more complicated than expected. Current plan is Venice to Pula ferry, rent a car, drive Pula to Split. I was fully on board for that until I saw the ferry costs $100 and doesn't touchdown in Pula til 8 at night, so if anyone knows any better options I'm happy to hear them)

2 replies to this topic
Thornton CO
Level Contributor
37 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Pula/Rijeka to Split "difficulty level"

We drove from Zagreb to Split and it was fine. It was basically the same as driving in our home state of Colorado (some mountainous driving, although that may have been more so because we had no tolls clicked on our GPS so we went the long way!).

The only thing we noticed was that cars had trouble staying in their lanes more often than here. But as long as you are paying attention it was fine.

I checked out a Pimsleur Croatian CD set to learn basic Croatian before our trip from the library. It was good enough. Mostly we were able to get along with English with a sprinkling of Croatian words.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
5,433 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Pula/Rijeka to Split "difficulty level"

You can drive using the motorway, OR much more picturesque Adriatic Coastal Road (the Magistrala - D8 on the maps).

If you use the Google Maps street view, you can practically see how the whole route looks like. Example here by Senj:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.0078133,14.8937083,3a,60y,133.9h,74.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sI-1LzoZPmtW-YbZv7Lt9cA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Or type in the YouTube "jadranska magistrala split rijeka" (Adriatic Coastal Road Split Rijeka) or Rijeka Zadar, Zadar Sibenik, Sibenik Split if you want shorter sections.

And you will get videos like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyRcgfasc5o

Reply to: Driving from Pula/Rijeka to Split "difficulty level"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted