We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things nobody told me about Zagreb!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,462 posts
430 reviews
Save Topic
Things nobody told me about Zagreb!

Just leaving Zagreb after a couple of days getting over jet lag before tackling the Dalmatian Coast. I only came here because Emirates flies here. It was never on my radar.

I have loved it!! So clean, friendly, easy to navigate on foot (mostly in the old town area).

I love the greenery & didn’t mind being woken by birds at 5am.

I love the coffee culture - any city where there is a cafe or bakery every 100m has to be good, right?

I love the relaxed way cyclists without Lycra & without helmets share the footpaths amicably with pedestrians - even the dozy ones who forget which side of the path they are meant to be on!

I love the weather - so pleasant right now for walking.

Thank you Zagreb.

Mentioned in this post
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
10 replies to this topic
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
6,245 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things nobody told me about Zagreb!

Well Zagreb and it's inhabitants always had the ambition to be a "smaller Vienna" - and they achieved it to a great extent. Even having some positive sides of Vienna without negative ones (Vienna IS becoming a megalopolis). They could do with a Viennese underground railway, though - the traffic can be a mess in Zagreb in peak hours

Mentioned in this post
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
16,720 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things nobody told me about Zagreb!

Good to see you have made it to Croatia and that you love Zagreb. I think it is too underrated.

"I love the greenery"

What other city in the world can you see a vineyard from the main street (Tkalciceva)?

"I love the coffee culture"

You will see plenty of it all over Croatia.

Enjoy the rest of your stay in Croatia.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,494 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things nobody told me about Zagreb!

Zagreb is really a beautiful and beguiling city and should be more of a destination rather than passing through.

You will find Croatia to be wonderfully diverse!

Croman, I just love seeing vineyards and olive groves in communities, not to mention bee hives, chickens, vegetable gardens, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,462 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things nobody told me about Zagreb!

Oh, how could I have missed the vineyard view from Tkalciceva?

Crimean, I assume you know that “Dalmatians” were the first wine growers in NZ? They didn’t get the soil or varieties right at first leading to the vernacular “Dally Plonk” but now their descendents are some of the best known names in the industry - Babich, Selaks etc,

Edited: June 07, 2018, 6:48 pm
Mentioned in this post
Tkalciceva
Tkalciceva
1,538 Reviews
Zagreb, Croatia
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
16,720 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things nobody told me about Zagreb!

Yes I know that Croats, mostly from Dalmatia, were the first wine growers in NZ. They started around Auckland, Henderson and Kumeu a century ago. I visited a few wineries when I was in NZ, including some in Marlborough region. Some of those wineries are still run by descendants of original owners. Others, such as Villa Maria, have changed hands and are owned by big conglomerates. We went to Babich and had lunch at Soljan winery, supposedly one of the best winery restaurants in the world. Yes, it was good, but we didn't think it was that good.

Mentioned in this post
Dalmatia
Dalmatia
Croatia
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,012 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things nobody told me about Zagreb!

We too, have visited Zagreb -- Excellent post

Mentioned in this post
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things nobody told me about Zagreb!

I too love the greenery of this city, I was thinking this yesterday when I walked into the centre. There are so many great aspects when walking around, trees everywhere. Very pleasant. There is a great festival happening in July https:/…dvoristathe-courtyards-of-zagreb I find the courtyards here fascinating, you never know what's behind those big doors until you have a look. There's always a caffe bar or small shop and laundry hanging.

Edited: June 07, 2018, 10:56 pm
S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things nobody told me about Zagreb!

LOVE Zagreb. JOJO I have heard about that festival and would love to do that. All those courtyards look wonderful!!!! So bummed we wont be there till the 30th. Oh well....always next year.....

Mentioned in this post
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,462 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things nobody told me about Zagreb!

Yes, I found peering into those courtyards tantillising. Some looked terribly neglected & others had beautiful big trees or shady cafes/ bars.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things nobody told me about Zagreb!

I find even the run-down looking courtyards quite charming! I live in the Crnomerec area, there's some great derelict buildings and loads of trees, great for the stray cats to hide. There's also a train line near the Franck coffee factory that I love walking down, old disused rolling-stock.. makes me feel like I'm in an American coming-of-age movie! In summer I get the aroma of coffee or the whiff of hops from the brewery nearby. The Tresnjevacki area has incredible rose gardens along the streets, hundreds and hundreds of roses of various colours. I often wish I was a talented photographer.

Reply to: Things nobody told me about Zagreb!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted