We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to convert AUD to EURO for use in Croatia?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to convert AUD to EURO for use in Croatia?

Hi there.

My partner and I will be getting married in Croatia and need to take with us 4000 euros to pay the suppliers. Bank transfer is not preferred (cash economy).

I have a debit card with a daily limit of $2,200 AUD (roughly 1400 euro) but my understanding is the ATM's do not dispense euros.

What is the best way to convert my AUD to euro without loosing too much on conversion fees/bad exchange rates?

The easiest for us would be to bring the equivalent in AUD and convert it somewhere such as the airport, but I'm assuming that would not be the best bang for buck.

We will be stopping in London before Croatia, so perhaps a money changer in London?

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
London
London
England, UK
4 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
16,331 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to convert AUD to EURO for use in Croatia?

Ask them if they will accept Kuna. After all, it is the only legal currency in Croatia. Then you can exchange your AUD to Kuna in Croatia.

Otherwise, it might be best to get the Euros in Australia. You would need to pre order them.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,247 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to convert AUD to EURO for use in Croatia?

I’m in Croatia now but heading to Greece. I simply bought a stash of euros from my bank. As mentioned above, you might have to order such a large quantity.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Greece
Greece
Europe
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to convert AUD to EURO for use in Croatia?

If it is a local business, they need to take Kuna and can't ask any other currency from you, unless you are willing to do so

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to convert AUD to EURO for use in Croatia?

I would be asking why they are wanting payment in euros, as other have said, it is not the currency of Croatia and payment should not be asked for in euros. To take a large amount of cash is a risk and any transfers/exchanges are going to come with a fee. Why not a bank transfer?

Greg

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Reply to: Best way to convert AUD to EURO for use in Croatia?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted