We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying for apartment?

Great Bookham...
Level Contributor
164 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Paying for apartment?

Hi, me & my husband are coming to Croatia on July 1st, staying in a small apt in Seget Vranjica. Just need some advice re paying for it please? The apartments are asking us to pay in Kuna. It was £380 when we booked it. So do i need to get £380 worth of Kuna and pay that when I get there? Sorry, bit strange but never paid an apartment this way before. Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Seget Vranjica
Seget Vranjica
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
12 replies to this topic
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying for apartment?

If you are paying in cash, ask how much Kuna will it cost you. Where did you book it, though which site?

Great Bookham...
Level Contributor
164 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying for apartment?

Hi. Thanks for reply. We booked through booking.com. i will message them now

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying for apartment?

So, you haven't paid anything to booking.com? You'll pay the whole amount at the spot to the owner?

Edited: June 06, 2018, 8:36 pm
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
56,137 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying for apartment?

On our last trip we almost always went with booking.com and there wasn't a time we didn't pay like you are doing...we made many trips to the ATM to collect enough kuna for our nights there.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying for apartment?

We are paying £670 for our apartment in Hvar between us. I found a good rate for kuna with an online dealer, about 8.2, and bought £1000 worth so there is enough to pay on arrival plus spends to last most of the first week.

Mentioned in this post
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
Great Bookham...
Level Contributor
164 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying for apartment?

Yes. It was free booking. So have to pay all at the apartment when we arrive. Im quite nervous about it

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying for apartment?

No need to be. Apartment rentals are well established in Croatia and it is a well practiced procedure. We have generally found landlords/ladies helpful and hospitable but they won't intrude on your space. Don't be alarmed on being asked for your passports to register you with the local police. I would do some last minute checks of the equivalent in kuna just before you arrive so you are prepared.

Edited: June 07, 2018, 4:03 am
Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying for apartment?

To add, I messaged our apartment for the kuna equivalent a couple of months ago as booking.com insist on listing in euro as well as sterling. It is easy to check online as well of course.

Edited: June 07, 2018, 4:09 am
Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Paying for apartment?

Kuna is the only valid currency for payments in Croatia (just like local currencies are anywhere in the world) with just a few exceptions (like road tolls). While I'm not sure if there are also exceptions allowing payment for apartment rentals in another currency there is really nothing to worry about. You can either visit an ATM or visit an exchange office. The only problem is that if you don't have a large selection of exchange offices to choose from the rate may be 5-7 % worse (at least I haven't seen worse than 7 %). In general, you should avoid offices at airports, train and bus stations, hotels and tourist attractions.

Here's the official website of Croatia's Central bank: http://www.hnb.hr/en/home You have the official exchange rates on the right and use that as a guide. Currently, 1 pound is ~8,4 kn. Just keep in mind those are "middle" rates so not what you'll actually find on offer anywhere but perhaps 8,3 should be available. Also, larger cities will usually have better rates (like, Zagreb, Split and Rijeka vs Rovinj).

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Hotel Zagreb
Hotel Zagreb
55 Reviews
Split, Croatia
Rijeka
Rijeka
Primorje-Gorski Kotar County, Croatia
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paying for apartment?

No need to worry. Some things in Croatia are done the old-fashioned way. Last year I paid half as deposit, half on departure. This year it's direct deposit into host bank account (Have done this a couple of times previously with no problem. Bank gave me the exchange rate to kunas from euros). Enjoy your holiday!

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Reply to: Paying for apartment?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted