We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to travel to Machu Picchu

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to travel to Machu Picchu

What is the most recommended time of year to travel to Machu Picchu, taking into consideration the tourist traffic and weather?

Mentioned in this post
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,761 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to travel to Machu Picchu

I would say May or September.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to travel to Machu Picchu

WE were told May is best, before the hordes of crowds and after the rainy season. If you are doing the Inka trail, have heard that timing it to end with a full moon is an additional treat.

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
870 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to travel to Machu Picchu

I was told that February is summertime in Lima and plan to go there then. Is is convenient to visit Machu Picchu at this time?

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
peru
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to travel to Machu Picchu

For Maya2627

February in Peru is the summer. A time in the mountains for rain, rain and more rain, cloudy skies and more rain. The inca trail to machu picchu is closed. This last february even some lodges in manu closed up.

February is great for places in Peru like the Pacific coast, beaches, and even the jungle areas around iquitos.

Winter in peru is best for visiting machu picchu and other mountain destinations, the temperature is not that much different than in the summer.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
870 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to travel to Machu Picchu

Davarian, if I don't do the trail, would february still be convenient? Would March or April be better? My peruvian friend is a teacher and I need to go when she is not working in the summertime. She did not seem aware that February was not a good month.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,761 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to travel to Machu Picchu

School now starts on the first week of March.So, you will need to come in Jan or March. She will also have vacs in July but that is a crowded month.

We Limeños are always afraid of the rain, as it never rains in Lima.

On the other side, the highlands are beautiful during the rainy season as they are all full of colors due to the beautiful flowers of all the plantations.

My wife and her sisters have just done the Choquequirao trail in Feb and had a great trip.

Some rain gets you wet, but then the sun comes out and dries you. It does not get to cold at night time either.

The other plus is that you will not find many tourists.

You will love Cusco in Feb.

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Choquequirao
Choquequirao
244 Reviews
Sacred Valley, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
California
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to travel to Machu Picchu

I went last year at the end of May and it was absolutely gorgeous on the Inca Trail. We did the 4 day trek to Machu Picchu and it was cold at night as we were in the mountains, but it never rained and the days were blue skies and sunny. I plan on going again in 5 yrs and plan on doing it in May again--but this time with the full moon. The last day of the hike started at 4:30am in the thick of darkness, so moonlight would have been nice to walk by. But then again, I am glad I got to see so many southern hemisphere stars! I hear that June is the busiest time for the Inca Trail, but I don't know if that's true.

Mentioned in this post
Inca Trail
Inca Trail
2,010 Reviews
Machu Picchu, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to travel to Machu Picchu

I am really interested in hiking the Inca Trail. Can I do the hike alone, or should I arrange to go with a group? If the latter, is there a group you would recommend? Many thanks for all of your helpful information!

Mentioned in this post
Inca Trail
Inca Trail
2,010 Reviews
Machu Picchu, Peru
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,761 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to travel to Machu Picchu

Pls look at the Sticky "The 15 most asked questions on the Inca trail " in the Peru forums.

You will find ananswer to most of yr questions.

Mentioned in this post
Inca Trail
Inca Trail
2,010 Reviews
Machu Picchu, Peru
Peru
Peru
South America