We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iquitos Monkey Island

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Iquitos Monkey Island

Hola!

I will be visiting Iquitos in September. I'm desperate to get up close with a Sloth (lazy bear) and understand that one of the "Monkey Islands" lets you do this, however, I'm not sure which one it is. Also, I don't want to fund bad "animal tourism" and understand that this is the more "reputable" sanctuary:

http://laisladelosmonos.org/en/

Any information would be appreciated. Muchos gracias:)

5 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iquitos Monkey Island

I visited Monkey Island as part of the Maniti Expedition package and absolutely loved it. I got to hold sloths, a caiman, and a boa among others! Although it does depend on what's in the rescue centre at the time which is dependent on what the policia or others leave in that have been rescued from markets etc...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
190 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iquitos Monkey Island

Last I heard Monkey Island was closed. Also any "sanctuary" that lets you hold an animal has unethical practices. You can see them in the wild. I saw 4.

Iquitos, Peru
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iquitos Monkey Island

Your best bet is to avoid places like that and try to see one in a respectable manner in its natural habitat. Irresponsable companies visit selfie slave mills and very little is taken into account the poor conditions the animals live in just to get a close picture. Keep in mid that close to these areas there is always souvenirs for sale that have animal parts such as parrot or macaw feathers. Please refrain from buying souvenirs with animal parts.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iquitos Monkey Island

Don't encourage this type of business. No animal should be drugged and shoved into the arms of humans for 'entertainment'.

Iquitos, Peru
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iquitos Monkey Island

Thankfully closed! Animal slave mills and companies that support them need to go!!!!!!

Reply to: Iquitos Monkey Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Iquitos