We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bumped from scoot SYD-SIN-SYD to Singapore airlines charter

Level Contributor
151 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bumped from scoot SYD-SIN-SYD to Singapore airlines charter

Hi everyone,

Have just been advised that we have been bumped from scoot flights to a Singapore airlines charter flight. Sounded good at first until reading the fine print. No food available for purchase - no beverages (or alcohol) - just water. No In flight services available for purchase. For an international

Flight this seems unreasonable. I know it’s a budget airline but I would still have an expectation to be able to purchase items. Otherwise I would not have booked in the first place. We have been encouraged to bring our own food.

Upon ringing Scoot it was hard to get an answer out of them as to if this was truly possible (ie did I misunderstand what I read). They are offering no compensation. Upon doing an internet search it seems that Scoot have done this for approx one month per year over The last few years to rotate their planes for maintenance.

Has anyone been in this position before? Sharing your experience would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
14 replies to this topic
Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
792 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bumped from scoot SYD-SIN-SYD to Singapore airlines charter

Such are the Terms and Conditions concerning LLC / Budget Airlines. They are well documented on the ticket.

You opted for cheap fares....if you wanted a problem free flight then a full service airline is best option.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
11,952 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bumped from scoot SYD-SIN-SYD to Singapore airlines charter

I was bumped the other way from SilkAir (partnered flight with Singapore Airlines) on to Scoot and I was not very happy as I paid for business class flights and Scoot does not have business class...!

As it was only a 1 hour flight I thought I would put up with it but I did stick out for a refund, which I got, albeit quite reluctantly, from Singapore Airlines.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bumped from scoot SYD-SIN-SYD to Singapore airlines charter

We got the same message - very disappointed. We flew the same route last year on the Scoot Dreamliners and it was pretty good. Apparently even pre-purchased seat selections will not be honoured.

Level Contributor
120 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bumped from scoot SYD-SIN-SYD to Singapore airlines charter

I just completed my SGD-SYD-SGD on scoot 2 weeks ago. If I am bumped from Scoot to SIA planes, I will be most happy. Scoot seats are no good. Leg room still ok as I am not too tall or big size. My tail bone was aching during the midnight flight both way as the seat recline angle sucks and the seat is a bit hard. I have to sit straight and let my buttock flesh cushion my sitting position.

The "attendance" button is located on the top of the seat handle. I accidentally "call" for the flight crew a couple of times (I not the only one) during my Zzzzz .

If you buy SIA and bump to Scoot than that calls for complain or compensation.

One more thing, flight back to Spore, my lugguage shell crack (its a 6months lugguage)... FIle a claim but was told Scoot do not have a lugguage handler, LOST and FOUND (where you file the report) told me to file claim against my insurer..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bumped from scoot SYD-SIN-SYD to Singapore airlines charter

Yes, I'm on one of these flights and not happy! Mainly because of losing my seat selections and now no option to buy food, power or entertainment.

Was bounced backward and forward yesterday between call centres trying to secure seat selection. Told by SIA that I need a SIA e ticket receipt number or SIA booking reference to change seat selection and that Scoot could provide same. Called Scoot, of course not that easy!! Gave up and will try again when feeling calm and patient.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bumped from scoot SYD-SIN-SYD to Singapore airlines charter

You choose a budget airline you need to expect budget. These are the types of conditions associated with these type of carriers. If you want more you need to pay for it by booking a full service carrier.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bumped from scoot SYD-SIN-SYD to Singapore airlines charter

Was it a regular Scoot seat that u bought? If it was Scoot Biz then it’s subjective. But if u got bumped from regular Scoot to an SIA flight then isn’t it a bonus?

Regular Scoot seats r cramped and honestly, Scoot’s food is horrid. I fly ScootBiz a lot and I don’t even eat the meals provided.

Even if it’s an SIA charter flight, they do serve meals & drinks right? Plus they can’t just turn off the krisflyer entertainment system.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bumped from scoot SYD-SIN-SYD to Singapore airlines charter

If you are now holding onto an SIA ticket, u shld clarify whether there’re meals & drinks provided. Can’t imagine SIA tarnishing their shiny brand by starving passenger on a 8 hour flight.

My understanding is that charter flights are like any other flights, simply seasonal flights added when there’s excess demand. Kinda like their seasonal direct Singapore to Sapporo flight in December.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,900 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bumped from scoot SYD-SIN-SYD to Singapore airlines charter

The point is, OP isn't holding an SIA ticket but a Scoot ticket. The decision not to provide food and drinks (other than water) was probably made after considering that the majority of Scoot passengers don't buy meals on board.

Edited: June 15, 2018, 6:51 pm
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bumped from scoot SYD-SIN-SYD to Singapore airlines charter

Minx, it doesn’t matter even if OP was holding onto a bus ticket that got converted into an SIA ticket. If it says SIA on it then the OP becomes an SIA customer and has a right to expect SIA standards.

Which is why I think the OP should check w/ SIA if indeed that charter flight is not serving food & drinks at all.

It seems like a misunderstanding because Scoot isn’t very good at answering questions.

I cannot imagine any self respecting airline making passenger fly on an 8 hour flight w/ only water. There’ll be a riot.

Reply to: Bumped from scoot SYD-SIN-SYD to Singapore airlines charter
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Singapore