We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa related information regarding Transit at Changi Airport

14 posts
Save Topic
Visa related information regarding Transit at Changi Airport

We are Indian ordinary Passport holder are planning to have a tour in Cambodia and in Indonesia. We are planning to go Cambodia later after completing the Indonesian part. And for that we are going to avail our first leg of Flight from Yogyakarta, Indonesia to Singapore (Changi Airport) and from there to catch the remaining leg of flight for Seam Reap, Cambodia. And for that we might have a lay over of four hours in the Changi Airport, Singapore. As these are both a different flight operators, so we might need to collect our baggage first at Changi Airport and have to re- check, go through Customs once again in the Changi Airport in order to catch the second flight for the Seam Reap. In this situation, do we required a Singaporean visa to get through the rechecking at the Changi Airport or is it okay if we do have a proper Cambodian Visa?

I am really confused, thus have to ask you all to know the rules before hand.

Mentioned in this post
Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta
Java, Indonesia
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Changi Airport
Changi Airport
Singapore, Singapore
6 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,290 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa related information regarding Transit at Changi Airport

You need to have a visa applied beforehand from an authorised visa agent. The visa from Cambodia has no relevance to Singapore. If your return journey is also through Singapore, you need a multiple-entry visa.

Edited: June 12, 2018, 6:52 pm
Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,942 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa related information regarding Transit at Changi Airport

Sounds like you have bought a Inda - Singapore single or India -Singapore return ticket with the first airline. So your first airline will require you to have a visa for Singapore in order to let you board the flight in India. It does not matter if you have a flight with another airline in a few hours or a few days.

If you had a single ticket with a change of planes in Singapore you would be fine without a visa.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa related information regarding Transit at Changi Airport

In my entire plan for touring Indonesia and Cambodia, there is just once I have to go through Changi Airport, where we have to change a flight with a lay over of 3.25 hrs. My first leg of Flight is from Yogyakarta, Indonesia by Indonesia AirAsia QZ658 for Changi Airport. And my remaining leg is for Siam Reap, Cambodia in by Jetstar Asia 3K601. As both are the difference company, they suggest that I need to collect my baggage at Changi Airport, and re-entry through the customs.

Mentioned in this post
Changi Airport
Changi Airport
Singapore, Singapore
Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta
Java, Indonesia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa related information regarding Transit at Changi Airport

In that case, you need to apply for a tourist visa before hand. If you are only passing through Singapore on one leg of the journey, then a single trip visa will be required. If you are passing through Singapore on the return trip, then you will need a multiple entry visa.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,942 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa related information regarding Transit at Changi Airport

Just to clarify the terminology. You will have to enter Singapore proper by going through immigration ( you need a visa for this part) then you collect your bags and go through customs. Then you are free to do anything in Singapore till the check in desk for you second flight to open. Then when you have your boarding pass you go through Passport Control , at which point you have technicallly left Singapore, and then board your next fight. There is no customs again for departing passengers.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
61,307 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa related information regarding Transit at Changi Airport

@Nilanjan P, good morning.

""that I need to collect my baggage at Changi Airport, and re-entry through the customs.""

You seem to confuse the immigration and customs. Immigration is a border control/ visa and passport checks. Customs care only for goods you import/ export from the country.

To your question: as per your description you need a tourist visa for this itinerary through Singapore. Without this visa you'll not be allowed to board to aircraft from dps.

Edited: June 12, 2018, 7:55 pm
Mentioned in this post
Changi Airport
Changi Airport
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Reply to: Visa related information regarding Transit at Changi Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted