We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks of travel - Fly in Singapore

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
7 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks of travel - Fly in Singapore

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for your help. I had a trip planned to Nicaragua but due to civil unrest my friend and I have decided to change our plans. We can change our tickets and I'm thinking of flying into Singapore instead since the flight is direct from LAX and the price is decent.

So my question for you is: If you flew into Singapore and had two weeks to go and do whatever, what would those two weeks look like?

If more details are desired:

1) After getting the travel bug while in the Peace Corps years ago, I have traveled to 35 countries so far and would be happy to head to Malaysia or anywhere else that we could get to fairly easily, especially if there were authentic experiences we could enjoy.

2) I'm traveling with a friend who recently experienced a profound loss, so I want to go to more "happy" places, and limit any sad memorial places.

3) I'd like to end with some beach time and have heard a bit about a couple of islands off the coast of Singapore.

4) I'm don't desire to do things like Universal Studios, or things that would be enjoyed mainly by kids.

Thanks again,

Corrine

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Universal Studios Singapore
Universal Studios...
16,742 Reviews
Sentosa Island, Singapore
8 replies to this topic
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks of travel - Fly in Singapore

2 weeks could easily be filled just in Singapore itself, even counting out the places oriented towards kids, depending on what you enjoy. However it is also only a short flight from Singapore to go to Malaysia, Indonesia or Thailand (or indeed anywhere in SE Asia) if you want to split your time.

There are some beach resorts in Indonesia that are only a ferry trip from Singapore (Bintan & Batam), but the beaches there are only average, the places are more designed as weekend getaways for time poor Singaporeans. Much better beaches within a 2 hour flight. Langkawi (Malaysia), Bali (Indonesia) or Phuket (Thailand) probably the most popular choices, but check the weather information as you don't say when you are going.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Bintan Island
Bintan Island
Bintan Regency, Indonesia
Batam
Batam
Riau Archipelago, Indonesia
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Fairfield...
Level Contributor
7 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks of travel - Fly in Singapore

Thank you, we'd be going at towards the end of July into early August. I'd hoped to be able to travel around without another flight though. Are there places to go in South Malaysia that would be interesting?

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks of travel - Fly in Singapore

If you are looking for beach resorts near Singapore and without flights, then these 2 might be worth considering:

1) https:/…

2) http://www.rawaislandresort.com/

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
899 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks of travel - Fly in Singapore

There is plenty to do in Singapore for two weeks, you will love it. Many people would love their stay to be 2 weeks! Check out the Top Questions for Singapore, link in the top right hand corner of this page.

Have a read of Avanti’s list -free and low cost things to do, it is amazing. So much to do and see!

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
61,281 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks of travel - Fly in Singapore

""I'd like to end with some beach time and have heard a bit about a couple of islands off the coast of Singapore.""

For example:

Nikoi.com

Telunasresorts.com

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks of travel - Fly in Singapore

If it's DIY, I'll spend a week touring Taiwan. It's a marvelous country whether you go to the urban, suburb, smalltown, mountain or rural areas. Not as Westernized as Bali, but has its own heavy pop-culture presence (Mandopop, Harajuku fashion, Hallyu Wave trends).

But their lingua francas are Mandarin & the Hokkien dialect, & also Traditional Chinese as written language, all of which will engross & immerse you deeply the longer you stay. Yet their people are also amazingly friendly & hospitable across the board, their storied smalltown values striking a deep chord with Singaporeans ever since local conscripts & reservists went there for military training.

Vietnam, I suspect, is also similar but I've visited it only as part of a packaged tour.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Fairfield...
Level Contributor
7 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks of travel - Fly in Singapore

Thanks for such specific info!

auckland