We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Princessa Airport to El Nido (arriving late afternoon

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Puerto Princessa Airport to El Nido (arriving late afternoon

Hello,

We are arriving at Puerto Princessa airport at 14:50 on Monday 6 February.

We need to get to El Nido that day. What is the safest and preferably quickest way to do that?

Is there a way to avoid going in to Puerto Princessa?

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but so far it seems the best bus options leave earlier than we arrive.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
262 reviews
1. Re: Puerto Princessa Airport to El Nido (arriving late afternoon

You are well in time - There are PP-EN buses that leave after 16:00 pm too. hence the best way is by bus. it will take you 25 mins by trike from PP airport tot eh bus terminus. thereafter just go where the EN buses leave (the bus terminus is pretty large and thankfully there are lots of seats where the EN buses leave. No signboards - just ask someone)

The bus schedule for Roro and cherry is posted elsewhere on this forum. Do have a look at it (or just do a google image search for roro cherry schedule )

Yes - you can bypass PP by taking a direct but more expensive flight to EN. It saves a lot of travel pain but costs about double. Do factor in the bus fare from PP to EN when calculating the cost difference.

If you have not booked your flight to PP, I would recommend that you take the direct flight (I took the bus when I went to EN. If I go again, I will take the direct Mnl - EN flight)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Puerto Princessa Airport to El Nido (arriving late afternoon

I have already booked my flight to Puerto Princessa and have resigned myself to the long bus journey.

I'm happy to pay extra in order to get to El Nido a bit quicker and on a more comfortable bus. Do you have any recommendations of bus companies? Should I book a ticket in advance?

Thanks!

El Nido, Philippines
Level Contributor
365 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Puerto Princessa Airport to El Nido (arriving late afternoon

the cherry bus is the best, safest, most comfortable option, but only their air conditioned bus. unfortunately there are only 2 air conditioned buses after arrival time at 7 and 9pm.

the vans tend to speed excessively but the advantage is they will pick you up at the airport, saving you time.

if you can wait until 7, the cherry bus is great and is always what i take back and forth when I'm going to Puerto.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
262 reviews
4. Re: Puerto Princessa Airport to El Nido (arriving late afternoon

4 tips (based on my bus travel from PP to EN) -

1) There is no advance booking - just land up at the bus terminus and book the next aircon bus

2) There are both air con and non air con buses DO NOT go by non aircon - it is too tiring for the long journey. Wait for the Air con bus - the seats are nicer, so is the suspension and the air is not warm. We purposely waited and took the Air con bus.

3) There are two bus companies - Roro and Cherry. Both are equally good. Both leave from the same spot in the bus terminus if I am not mistaken (someone can correct me on this)

4) There are just 2 halts en route - for very short durations. Facilities in these halts are limited to CR (comfort room = what we in the Philippines call washroom) and a bare minimum of junk food (which we in the Philippines unashamedly call junk foods!). Hence I suggest you stack up on food / drinks for the bus journey in PP itself, ideally purchased at one of the dozen kiosks at the PP bus terminus

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Puerto Princessa Airport to El Nido (arriving late afternoon

Hi, there are 2 bus services that operate from the San Jose bus terminal (9km outside of PPS) with a total of 18 trips per day between them, 10 are aircon and 8 are not, RoRo departs every hour between 4am and 10pm, and Cherry departs every hour between 5am and 9pm, so you just take a trike from the Airport to the bus terminal to find them, takes around 30 minutes to get there, and the bus trip is around 8 hours.

ironwulf.net/2013/…

http://cherrybuspalawan.com/

If you prefer, at the same bus terminal, you can find several public shuttle vans departing every hour or so going to El Nido, cost is P700, trip takes around 5 to 5.5 hours.

The main van services who operate from the bus terminal are Recaro, Lexus and FortWally, plus many other smaller van operators.

There is a tour agency in PPS clled Palawandays who you can try to pre-book a private van for just your group to El Nido for P7000, or you can book a seat on one of the public shuttle vans for P700, they pick up from the airport or hotel.

palawandays.com/product-van-transfer-puerto-…

palawandays.com/product-private-transfer-pue…

Cheers

Edited: December 07, 2016, 5:09 pm
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
27,475 posts
2,259 reviews
6. Re: Puerto Princessa Airport to El Nido (arriving late afternoon

Just to clarify do your research on which shuttle service you use as several mentioned by Glen have received quite negative feedback on this forum for speeding, overcrowding and unsafe drivng practices.

I would use Daytripper as a shuttle service and for a bus service Roro or Cherry.

Tommo

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Puerto Princessa Airport to El Nido (arriving late afternoon

Daytripper has only one Van per day in each direction, and it departs at 10am, so the topic creator can't use them as she arrives too late, but it would be great if Daytripper had more vans because they could do a good business, especially with those tourists who arrive in the afternoon.

I also take note of what is said about some of the Van services in Palawan being unsafe, but that is not the case with every driver, but unfortunately tourists do not have much of a choice, because every travel agency in El Nido or PPS uses Lexus, Fortwally, Eulen Joy or Recaro when booking vans for tourists, as these are the 4 main van operators that ply the roads, and these 4 are the main ones that also have a booking office at San Jose and El Nido bus terminals.

The only other vans that operate are sole operators, these are drivers who have their own vans, and the ones who sit there trying to fill their vans up with extra passengers just to make more money, and i would rather take a Lexus, Recaro, Eulen Joy or Fortwally van than one of those other ones, because these 4 van operators do not over crowd their vans.

The owner of Daytripper has told me that in the past year or so many of the van operators have upgraded their fleets to newer vans, and they have picked up their game as far as safety goes, but yes there will still be cowboy drivers out there because their bosses force them to get to their destinations as quick as they can.

This is why tourists need to arrive in PPS as early in the morning as they can, and get the RoRo or Cherry bus instead, or wait until the next day to travel to El Nido.

Tourists just need to be aware of some of the pitfalls of traveling in the Philippines.

Bondi, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
38 reviews
8. Re: Puerto Princessa Airport to El Nido (arriving late afternoon

What airline do you use for direct flight from MNL to ENI if I want to book in advance and avoid the bus hassle?

Bondi, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: Puerto Princessa Airport to El Nido (arriving late afternoon

What airline do you use for direct flight from MNL to ENI if I want to book in advance and avoid the bus hassle?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
27,475 posts
2,259 reviews
10. Re: Puerto Princessa Airport to El Nido (arriving late afternoon

Air Swift.

Get answers to your questions about El Nido