We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I get a JR pass for this itinerary?

6 posts
Should I get a JR pass for this itinerary?
Save

Planning a trip for next summer (a bit early, I know) 2022 for three 18 year-olds and a 17 year-old. Planning on a fairly ambitious itinerary- 4 nights in Tokyo, 1 night in Takayama, 4 nights in Kyoto (with a day trip to Nara), 2 nights in Osaka and cycling the Shimanami Kaido over two days. Should we get JR passes and IC cards? If not, what's the best way to go about ordering train tickets etc.? Is this plan too ambitious? Any and as much detail on the best way to travel this route would be great, thanks.

None of us speak Japanese, but some of us know a fair amount of Chinese (so can read some kanji), if that's useful information.

18 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
44 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: Should I get a JR pass for this itinerary?
Save

Think about below, which won't be covered by JR pass, as an option.

https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/highwaybus/shinjuku_en/

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
198 posts
2. Re: Should I get a JR pass for this itinerary?
Save

Which airports in Japan are you arriving and leaving from?

Edited: May 15, 2021, 2:30 am
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
67,445 posts
64 reviews
142 helpful votes
3. Re: Should I get a JR pass for this itinerary?
Save

Rail Pass Calculator = https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4. Re: Should I get a JR pass for this itinerary?
Save

Not ambitious at all. You will have time to spare. You would just about break even on the pass by fitting your time away from Tokyo into 7 days but the bike ride makes that impossible and the 14 day pass would not be good value. You can check rail prices on hyperdia.com. I have made 48 visits and, even when I didn't have a rail pass, I never tried to book tickets in advance. You don't save money by doing so and the only trains l have found to be fully booked were Shinkansen where l could get a seat on another train within 30 minutes or so.

The bike ride sounds great. I have never heard of it but I have done three bike tours. Even though I knew how hospitable the Japanese were l was still surprised at how well l was treated, which l know was partly because l had the union flag, British not US, on my back. (Don't mention the war!) In more remote areas so many people wanted to talk and give me presents that it could be difficult to make progress. One problem is that there are often 50cm deep unprotected storm drains at the side of the road. If you went into one that would be the end of your ride and perhaps your life. Japanese ideas of health and safety can be quite different to those in Europe. I have stayed in B&Bs with steep wooden stairs and no handrail. I thought that perhaps this frightened me because I was no longer young but on one return flight l sat near a twenty year old travelling with a nurse who had fallen down a similar staircase and would never walk again. Medical care is excellent but very expensive so make sure you have good insurance.

My poor health means that I haven't been to Japan for about 10 years so l am envious that you will not only be visiting but riding bikes in what l believe to be the world's most civilised country.

There is a lot of expertise on TA, not least my old friend Shot, so do ask if you have further questions.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
34,365 posts
234 reviews
129 helpful votes
5. Re: Should I get a JR pass for this itinerary?
Save

Where do you go after Shimanami Kaido and how long is your entire trip?

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
44 reviews
10 helpful votes
6. Re: Should I get a JR pass for this itinerary?
Save

Yeah, we can only comment after you make the whole rough itinerary.

There are also partial JR pass.

https://japanrailpass.net/en/

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hokkaido, Nagano
Level Contributor
10,873 posts
187 reviews
88 helpful votes
7. Re: Should I get a JR pass for this itinerary?
Save

If you could issue open-jaw air tickets, ie. land in Tokyo but depart from Osaka/KIX, then you could save both travel time and money by,

1. take highway bus b/w Tokyo > Takayama > Kyoto direct. (Travel time is not much slower than by train but wud be much cheaper).

2. use this 5-day JR West Kansai-Hiroshima Pass when departing to Onomichi (for Shimanami Kaido) and return to Osaka, plus a one-way JR Haruka express train to Osaka/KIX (before expiry). This would more than payoff.

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai_hiroshima/

3. indeed use prepaid IC card such as SUICA/PASMO for daily commutes in large cities like Tokyo, Kyoto etc. JR Pass does NOT cover any city subways in Japan.

NOt knowing Japanese is not an issue. There are English signs in most places. Most concierge staffs in hotels (4-star+) would be able to converse in English. Speak simple English slowly.

Happy planning.

Edited: May 16, 2021, 7:01 pm
Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
44 reviews
10 helpful votes
8. Re: Should I get a JR pass for this itinerary?
Save

Some hostels' staff will also speak English with hosptitality.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
44 reviews
10 helpful votes
9. Re: Should I get a JR pass for this itinerary?
Save

Some hostels' staff will also speak English with hosptitality.

There are Information Center where you can find multilingual staff, who would be happy to help you, near sightseeing spots.

10. Re: Should I get a JR pass for this itinerary?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: May 17, 2021, 10:58 pm
Edited: May 17, 2021, 10:58 pm

Reply to: Should I get a JR pass for this itinerary?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.